Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Has anyone recorded her? I know there are legal consent concerns but you aren’t trying to convict her of anything. Just show what happens when she thinks no one is watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

LBW is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Is there a math curriculum advisor? If so, I'd escalate the issue to him/her since the teacher's methods defeat the point of the new approach.

Also, depending on your daughter's age, I'd probably just go ahead and write a letter to the Principal and/or Superintendent. I get that your daughter doesn't want to rock the boat, but this teacher's behavior is way beyond what's acceptable.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If nothing else works that the others have advised and you still need her out of that class. I would suggest dumping math at the school all together, maybe she can have independent time or something and pay to have her do math online. We did Art of Problem Solving during COVID bc DD's math teacher just could not do online and checked out and took like 30 personal/ sick days. So we said no thanks, DD did the online course, which was amazing, and they transferred the credit bc it is an accredited school. She can also just do the math class online in addition to her own and learn it from the online school.

That would be my: nothing else has worked, the situation is untenable and I have to do something right now solution.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Bad Apple in the Bunch- Teacher woes

As much as I would hate it I would respect your daughter’s wishes and not do anything in this situation especially at the school level. If she wants to report something to the principal then that is her choice. The report could be and should anonymous as well when the administration speaks to the teacher.

I might however file an anonymous complaint with the school board. I would also mention that kids who are complaining about the teacher are being ridiculed in class as well and that shouldn’t be happening; it means that the school administration is or was sharing the names of the students who complained about this teacher and that should be anonymous.

I would not encourage my student to record the teacher. That is not in my comfort zone. I wouldn’t want the teacher to even get a clue that this is happening.

Good luck to your daughter.

Also on a side note for the OP how do you not know the principal well? I am not saying you have to be buddy buddy, but wouldn’t or shouldn’t you have a few meetings with them by now almost three or four months into the school year? That would give me the basic feel for them. I would expect them to be open to a meeting if that is what you need. I wouldn’t go out of my way to be rude to this teacher because maybe she knows she has your daughter in her class and if she catches you being rude to her she could decide to take it out on your daughter. I would also tread lightly about getting your daughter moved out of the classes especially before the semester ends. The teacher may see that as you using your power as a fellow teacher to get her moved and could make her even madder. Can she change classes at the semester?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 10-31-2021 at 01:15 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Trales, thank you for the suggestion for Art of Problem Solving. I'm going to look into that, if nothing else as a supplement if DD doesn't feel like she's learning much in the class.

DD said that they continue to have administrators in the class, and that does seem to be helping. A fellow parent, with a child in the class, pointed out that the kids will get a lot of time off in November. They have a day off next week, a week of half days (parent teacher conferences), and then a week off for Thanksgiving. Plus two weeks off for December. We're hoping that gives the kids some stress relief. And it gives the principal time to set some ground rules for the teacher.

Annie, the principal has only been here two months (former principal left suddenly due to a medical issue.) All our staff mtgs are still via zoom and she mostly talks while we listen. She's got a very full plate. We've talked a couple of times, but very briefly. She's always running somewhere!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Positive, surprise update for today:
    The principal approached me afterschool today to ask how my DD was feeling about the class! DD was there, and heard the principal ask, and gave the okay for me to talk with her. DD walked away so we could talk privately. I shared what had happened, and the principal let me know that they are working closely with this teacher, have a district trainer coming in to work with her, and some other stuff that is confidential. It was all very positive and I really appreciated that she came to me in DD's presence, so DD was not upset at all with me.

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Positive, surprise update for today:
    The principal approached me afterschool today to ask how my DD was feeling about the class! DD was there, and heard the principal ask, and gave the okay for me to talk with her. DD walked away so we could talk privately. I shared what had happened, and the principal let me know that they are working closely with this teacher, have a district trainer coming in to work with her, and some other stuff that is confidential. It was all very positive and I really appreciated that she came to me in DD's presence, so DD was not upset at all with me.
    This is a great update! I hope they are able to make some real progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's a great update.

So I gotta say, I think the core of a child's experience at school stems from the quality of the teacher. But I also think that good school administration attracts and enables good teachers! As I've watched my kids progress through various schools I'm more and more convinced that if I had no other markers to decide picking a school with good administrators might not be such a bad strategy.

It sounds like the principal is effective and that will improve the lives of a lot of kids!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2