Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default 2nd Grade Mask Conundrum? UPDATED

See last post for update! We found something that works better for DD.

DD happily wears the Bluna KF94 masks. We really love them! The only issue is...DD manages to get hers FILTHY by the end of the day. I think she chews on them (ick!) and somehow there is a large BROWN spot in the very middle at the end of the day. I mean, she probably fuels any secret anti-mask sentiments among anyone who sees her since it is clear that the mask is SOOO dirty.

Aside from sending an extra Bluna (which may be the best option but I don't like it because they're expensive!) what can I do? Any other good solutions? Of course we want to be really safe! (Come on FDA approval this coming Tuesday!)

TIA!
    Last edited by bisous; 11-12-2021 at 03:49 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think you need to just pay for a few extra to be able to swap during the day. I think it's a good use of money, in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I think you need to just pay for a few extra to be able to swap during the day. I think it's a good use of money, in this situation.
    I guess I was just wondering if using a reusable mask (that could be thrown in the washer) might be a good solution. But I'm just not sure that it would be as protective...

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I guess I was just wondering if using a reusable mask (that could be thrown in the washer) might be a good solution. But I'm just not sure that it would be as protective...
    Ah. Sorry, I don’t know that brand so assumed it was reusable.
    I know you’re very covid careful so my way of thinking probably won’t apply- aka I would just use an Old Navy mask and call it good enough, knowing that it’s not as good as a fancy mask but that the stats for kids in schools are really decent if any type of masks are worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ah. Sorry, I don’t know that brand so assumed it was reusable.
    I know you’re very covid careful so my way of thinking probably won’t apply- aka I would just use an Old Navy mask and call it good enough, knowing that it’s not as good as a fancy mask but that the stats for kids in schools are really decent if any type of masks are worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Maybe I could burn through my Bluna masks and hope that the vaccine goes through...at which point I'm sure the Old Navy would be good enough! It just seems so wasteful!

Has anybody else gone through anything like this? This is the kid that chews on her shirt, picks her nose and has stinky feet, lol. I love her to tears but it isn't necessarily out of character for her to have hygiene issues with masks. I'd love to solve this one!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Maybe I could burn through my Bluna masks and hope that the vaccine goes through...at which point I'm sure the Old Navy would be good enough! It just seems so wasteful!

Has anybody else gone through anything like this? This is the kid that chews on her shirt, picks her nose and has stinky feet, lol. I love her to tears but it isn't necessarily out of character for her to have hygiene issues with masks. I'd love to solve this one!
    DS1 is like that and to be extra special, he will ONLY wear these freaking cloth masks we bought from the zoo. All of his from last year have holes in the middle of the face (?!) DS2 and DS3 wore masks all year too and none of them had a single mask with a hole. Most people aren't masked in his class so it is frustrating he won't wear a better mask but since they are optional and he's in 5th grade I'll take what I can get. If I get him a better mask and he refuses to wear it then...bleh. For what it's worth, even without his class masking, and 90% of the school not masking, he hasn't even been quarantined yet this year. (I had expected Delta + mask optional + kids too young to be vaccinated would be a disaster but apparently there's a lot of natural immunity going around I guess, knock on wood.)

I have already told my kids they can stop wearing masks to school if they want after they are fully vaccinated. As it is they are pretty much the only kids wearing masks in their classes.
    Last edited by AngB; 10-23-2021 at 05:37 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh yuck! I don’t know that I’d send a fresh mask to change in the middle of the day. If she’s wearing hers properly all day and it’s kept her well this far into the school year then just keep doing what you’re doing. Which I assume is just throwing it out at the end of the day and sending her in a fresh mask for the next day.

https://bonafidemasks.com/childrens-face-masks/ Might be a cheaper source for the 3D boat design if you wanted to pursue cutting costs. But you’ve gotten this far and you’re so so close so I’d be reluctant to change anything. You just need to make it a few more weeks until fully vaccinated and then you could switch to a washable mask or simple surgical style.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 10-23-2021 at 05:41 PM.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My students (and almost all students) at my large elementary school in LA are wearing cloth masks. Teachers seem to be the only ones using KN 95. We have had no spread amongst students at our school, and even district wide I think only 11 instances of student spread (out of 500,000 students). I’d just let her wear the cloth masks and be done with it. My youngest is high risk and I worried at first, I feel pretty safe. He has actually been a close contact twice, but both times the principal didn’t list him as one because if he goes home, I’d have to stay home with him and there are no subs to take my class.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Can you get the masks you like in black? They wouldn’t show the dirt. I wear black KN94 masks, thought not for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Can you get the masks you like in black? They wouldn’t show the dirt. I wear black KN94 masks, thought not for that reason.
    Yes! I was just going to suggest this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast