Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Interesting. Have you seen any booster info from the big health systems in your area (for either healthcare workers or the general public)? Around here, UNC and Duke were the first to set up vaccination events for the initial rounds.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    I haven't seen anything from the larger healthcare systems but I haven't looked either. DH does his healthcare through Duke and had his initial J&J vaccine there so I'll ask him if he's gotten anything. I'm not expecting any mass scale vax clinics in this area as the pharmacies and select doctor's offices have vaccine supply and infrastructure to administer to the public. Most health departments are also still vaccinating. My impression is that there isn't enough demand for much more but I would love to be proven wrong.

Employee health is vaccinating hospital employees. Not sure about those in the system but working in clinics etc. but I suspect those employees can chose to vaccinate through employee health or community options.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Interesting. Have you seen any booster info from the big health systems in your area (for either healthcare workers or the general public)? Around here, UNC and Duke were the first to set up vaccination events for the initial rounds.

I live about an hour west of you – depending on how fast I drive. lol The big health system based here, Cone, has posted it will begin offering Moderna and J&J boosters on Tuesday. Appointments will open tomorrow. It’s been offering Pfizer all along. It’s also planning to reopen its mass vaccine site for a few days each week or each month, I can’t remember. That will offer vaccinations to both adults and kids once approved.

I got Pfizer the first round, but would like to get Moderna for my booster. I think CVS plans to offer the Moderna booster starting later this week.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I live about an hour west of you – depending on how fast I drive. lol The big health system based here, Cone, has posted it will begin offering Moderna and J&J boosters on Tuesday. Appointments will open tomorrow. It’s been offering Pfizer all along. It’s also planning to reopen its mass vaccine site for a few days each week or each month, I can’t remember. That will offer vaccinations to both adults and kids once approved.

I got Pfizer the first round, but would like to get Moderna for my booster. I think CVS plans to offer the Moderna booster starting later this week.
    Yep, Google Maps says that it’s ~50 min from my apartment to Cone Hospital—in the old days, it sure seemed to take a lot longer!

Thanks, this is encouraging. The vaccine info on the main ConeHealth website looks exactly like what I had expected to find on the UNCHealth site, but nope, not quite yet. Guess I need to keep checking (oh wait, I’m already doing that several times a day ).

We got Moderna the first time and have no particular reason to get anything else unless there’s an unexpected delay in availability. The main thing is that we want to get the boosters at a UNC-affiliated site so our entire vaccine records are in our MyCharts. Also, my friend had a preop COVID test (negative, thank goodness — rescheduling would have been a nightmare) and that’s in his MyChart, too.

It’s not super-urgent but we’d like to get boosters soon. Neither of us is immunocompromised or has serious risk factors but, hey, we’re old!

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My hospital system very half-heartedly offered boosters. There were a couple in the middle of the day. They were pretty much just encouraging people to go to a local pharmacy to get their booster. I think they may have put out a more robust response, but for the staffing shortages. They were having trouble staffing flu vaccine clinics, so didn't have the manpower to put up a big event like they had been doing for the past 10 months.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Got mine today. Friday there were plenty of appts for today but I got interrupted then they were gone. Next set of appts were for mid next week. I heard about a pharmacy 30min away that had walk ins over the weekend but I didnt go as parking was going to be difficult. Today I was going to head out there but I decided to drop into the local pharmacy that didn't have appts to see if they could do a walk in.. They told me they could do it but with a 20min wait. I waited 5min, got my shot and was home in 20min. Easy peasy.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    All of our pharmacies have the Pfizer vaccine. It’s super easy to get an appointment. They don’t specifically call them boosters because they’re just the same shot, but you can get one with no problems with an appointment or walking in.
    Same here
    K

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m in NC and was just able to schedule a Moderna appt for today at CVS. There are lots of appts available- most were Pfizer but there was a Moderna location close by as well. With CVS you can specify 1st dose, 2nd dose, extra shot or booster. I think the “extra shot” is for immuno suppressed though it is the same as a booster.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’ve been keeping an eye on the local news, announcements from the local healthcare system, CVS ads, and other sources, but so far, it looks like vaccine boosters aren’t yet available around here.

By contrast, some of my NE family got theirs today, at a state-run site (yep, a drive-through at the train station, where they’ve been going for covid tests!).

What’s the situation where you live?

Since you're in NC, I know Rockingham County Health Department has boosters available by appointment. My dad was able to get in for November 3rd for Moderna. (That's what he got for shots 1 & 2 & he didn't want to mix.)

Franklin County (where I live) has appointments available through the health department for boosters as well. (Been keeping a close eye on that site so I can get DD2 in for her shots once the 5-11 becomes live since our ped isn't on the list to get the shots in the first round.) And I know multiple Wake County residents who don't meet the official requirements for who is supposed to be getting boosters who got texts yesterday that basically said "We have boosters and won't ask questions if you want one." And at least two of them did just that.

All that to say, make sure you're checking the Health Department web site for your county.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Here they are very available at pharmacies and maybe some dr's offices. I don't think any of the hospitals are giving them, but there are still some health department clinics (they are just general vaccine clinics but I think they will give boosters- the shot is the same). The state is keeping track of who got what and that seems to automatically update in my dr's MyChart.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    Here they are very available at pharmacies and maybe some dr's offices. I don't think any of the hospitals are giving them, but there are still some health department clinics (they are just general vaccine clinics but I think they will give boosters- the shot is the same). The state is keeping track of who got what and that seems to automatically update in my dr's MyChart.
    Interesting to hear that info from a state registry may get into some MyChart records. I’ve been very skeptical of the state registry after our experience here in January. My CCRC arranged with CVS to do an on-site vaccine event here soon after the vaccine was released to over-75’s. In advance, CVS received a list of all residents at our CCRC and apparently entered that list in their CVS records and sent it to the state registry. This completely messed up the info in both places for those of us who got vaccines earlier at a health system mass vaccine event. It took me numerous calls to CVS before an incorrect covid vaccine date/dose disappeared from my CVS meds list. I kept getting reminders from the state registry to get the second shot, based on that incorrect first dose date, and never did get that straightened out.

Yes, I realize this was at the start of general vaccinations and all the providers were trying to figure it out. Since many BBB'ers are much younger, maybe the systems were worked out before most of you got initially vaccinated.

For now, I’m still holding out to see if we can get boosters from a health system source before too long.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast