Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was originally vaccinated with Pfizer and got my booster today - I chose Moderna, although they were recommending your original shot - even for J&J!
    DS 2/09

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I got my booster before they approved the mix/match. I kinda wanted the Moderna, but I am also feeling good with the Pfizer boost. My symptoms with the booster were more mild than after my 2nd dose.

Is it true the Moderna is more associated with myocarditis than Pfizer? That's what my co-worker just told me, but I thought it was either mRNA. I know a few with the J&J and they're debating which mRNA to get. I would lean Moderna only bc the studies seem to suggest greater effectiveness. But ototh, our Pfizer data is from Israel, our Moderna is from all over (?), so it's still hard to compare, imo.

In my head it's nuts that with 3 Pfizer shots, we still don't have as much "vaccine" as 1 full dose of Moderna.

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post

In my head it's nuts that with 3 Pfizer shots, we still don't have as much "vaccine" as 1 full dose of Moderna.
    True, but while they are based on the same technology they are still different vaccines. Ibuprofen and Tylenol and Aspirin are all different doses too because they are different medications.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    I got my booster before they approved the mix/match. I kinda wanted the Moderna, but I am also feeling good with the Pfizer boost. My symptoms with the booster were more mild than after my 2nd dose.

Is it true the Moderna is more associated with myocarditis than Pfizer? That's what my co-worker just told me, but I thought it was either mRNA. I know a few with the J&J and they're debating which mRNA to get. I would lean Moderna only bc the studies seem to suggest greater effectiveness. But ototh, our Pfizer data is from Israel, our Moderna is from all over (?), so it's still hard to compare, imo.

Yes, based on what I have read that is true. I have also read that's why they are taking so long on approving the Moderna vaccine for the 12-15 age group. When cases of myocarditis first came out, the first thing I noticed was that they were happening more in those that got Moderna. It just didn't really look like it if you didn't look carefully at the numbers because the 12-15 age group could get Pfizer so there was a bigger pool of people getting the Pfizer vs Moderna. That made it look like it was happening more with the Pfizer group. However, if you took out the 12-15 year olds, it was clearly happening more in Moderna.

ETA: I never thought about the fact that 3 Pfizer shots have less than one Moderna, but I actually appreciate that as it seems to be effective. I like the aspect of less as long as it's still effective.
    Last edited by MSWR0319; 10-26-2021 at 03:34 PM.

The fact that the vaccines were given at different spacing intervals may have made a difference, too. I think I read somewhere that waiting a longer period of time between the first and second doses (4 weeks for Moderna vs 3 weeks for Pfizer) may have had a stronger protective effect.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My first 2 doses, I couldn't wait til they were approved and received them very early on. But the third Moderna, I didn't rush right away to get it. I wasn't sure if I wanted the full dose or wait for the half dose booster. I checked my calendar for a few days where I didn't have plans and could not feel my best. I pulled up, well aware that I had a headache and fever for about 6 hours with dose 2. I then thought vaccine or ventilator? I walked right in there! Vaccine #3 I had a fever 100-101.5 for 24 hours, headache and sleepy. Injection site red and itchy for a week. With the holidays coming up, I'm glad that I got it. I don't want to miss out again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post
    The fact that the vaccines were given at different spacing intervals may have made a difference, too. I think I read somewhere that waiting a longer period of time between the first and second doses (4 weeks for Moderna vs 3 weeks for Pfizer) may have had a stronger protective effect.
    I was wondering if it would make sense to wait 4-6 weeks between Pfizer doses for DS (assuming it gets approved soon for his age group).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    I was wondering if it would make sense to wait 4-6 weeks between Pfizer doses for DS (assuming it gets approved soon for his age group).

ooh - interesting idea! I have a 11.5 year old and while I want her to be fully vaxxed as quickly as possible, I may be wiling to wait an extra couple of weeks for that second dose?

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    ETA: I never thought about the fact that 3 Pfizer shots have less than one Moderna, but I actually appreciate that as it seems to be effective. I like the aspect of less as long as it's still effective.
    Good point ! And thanks for the info you also included in your post.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post

I remember when there was some discussion about extending the interval to increase effective in the vaccine in adults on an episode of TWIV. I think the consensus among the scientist was to get to full protection more quickly. Maybe in an area (or in circumstances) with low spread it makes sense to wait? Otherwise I can see advantages to getting to full vaccination status.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3