Thread: Paging Niccig

Default Paging Niccig

I just IMed you about Speech Pathology/Communication education in California. If anybody else has something to add to the topic, please do so. DD is exploring colleges/majors. Thanks!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Paging Niccig

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I just IMed you about Speech Pathology/Communication education in California. If anybody else has something to add to the topic, please do so. DD is exploring colleges/majors. Thanks!
    I replied to your message.
    Ask away. Most of you know it was my second career. I enjoy it, but I know many SLPs who struggle with the pay/workload/stress. I think it depends on where you’re located, the setting you work in, and then colleagues you work with each day. I also hated my first career, so it helps to know work life could be much worse.

I’ve gotten much better the last few years with boundaries. If I’m not given enough time to complete assessments, I push back and get more time. My immediate supervisor and head of department are very supportive with this. I know that’s not the case everywhere. I also work per diem Saturdays in pediatric inpatient rehab. I would’ve worked here full time if I was younger and didn’t have DS. The hospital’s work schedule didn’t work for our family. It’s also fast paced and I like to take a little longer to mull things over. Couple days a month are fine for a change of pace. I started seeing some private clients after school hours. Providing in home therapies means I work more closely with families. Plus the extra $$ helps as DS will be college bound soon.

You can work in different settings, but if your DD wants a medical setting, it’s best to get that experience early in career. The hospital won’t even look at a candidate who’s experience is only in schools - the degree is the same but the skill set is very different. I did my grad school internship at the hospital so they hired me for the per diem position because they had had already trained me for several months. I probably won’t ever work full-time in a medical setting as my school job hours/benefits/salary is better for my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 10-25-2021 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks so much!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

University of Arizona has a very well-regarded program. UT and AZ are both part of WICHE/WUE so tuition is closer to in-state rates.

Arizona is on the list!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05