jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Keeping shoe laces tied

DS2 cannot seem to keep his shoe laces tied. He double knots them but they still come undone. Does anyone have a trick for keeping laces tied? A special way to double tie that I can teach him? If I double tie for him the laces stay tied. He can’t seem to get them tight enough.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD2 still sometimes has trouble with this and she's 13. She does have somewhat reduced grip strength from some orthopedic issues. Her solution is to double knot them at the point where the laces are just tight enough to stay on her feet but just loose enough to be able to wiggle her feet out. She will have me or DD1 tighten the knot for her. And then she just keeps it that way, wiggling her shoes on and off without untying, until they need to be adjusted.

I know it's not a tying solution, but a different solution. This worked for my normal-wrist-strength DD1 until she got better at tying with practice and DD1 has been able to keep her double knots tied since she was maybe 11-12 so I would say practice too, making sure he's grabbing both loops and pulling them (both at the same time) hard in opposite directions to tighten.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Tie the first layer and the bow in opposite order. If you do right over left for the first, do left over right for the bow. Dh swears by that and I really think it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We found that doing the "bunny ear method" and doubling the "ear through the hole" so to speak is nearly foolproof and still can be untied by pulling the string.

DD says it's "Life-changing!"

This is similar, but achieves the same idea.
    https://youtu.be/2NBpGj04NFY
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This site: Ian's Shoelace Site has everything you've ever wanted to know about shoelaces! DS1 was uninterested in learning to tie his shoes and was about to outgrow velcro, so I pointed him to this site, and he chose to learn the Ian knot. DS2 does his own version of it. One thing I learned is to make sure you have a strong knot. It should go across your foot and not end up parallel. When I was a teen, I changed how I tied my laces simply because I wanted them to look better. Never realized by doing that I was making a better knot!

Also, what type of shoelace does he have? Some round ones just never seem to be able to stay tied.
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09