Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Covid booster - J&J?

Hi all,

So back when vaccines were hard to find, we got the J&J vaccine since that is what they had. Now it's time for boosters and the J&J vaccine is no where to be found. I need to call my doctor tomorrow and figure out the booster situation (although she told me to get it ASAP). I am thinking the Moderna booster? What are people doing/thinking?

Thanks so much.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If I received J & J, I would opt for a Moderna booster.

DH got the J&J. He plans to get the Moderna this week. In our area, it's easy to find appointments at Walgreens and CVS for either Pfizer or Moderna.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Are we thinking Moderna for Pfizer people also, in addition to J&J people? And similar mixing and matching for Moderna people too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely Moderna. It offers the strongest protection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am leaning moderna.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Are we thinking Moderna for Pfizer people also, in addition to J&J people? And similar mixing and matching for Moderna people too?

I am, personally. (Healthcare in high covid area, working w high risk pregnant women, kids in mask optional school.) If our factors were less risky I would probably just do Pfizer again. I think it's good enough for most people. I would hate to get covid from my kids and then unknowingly give it to a high risk pregnant woman.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post

I have been wondering this too. I saw some data comparing immune response to different boosters in those who got J&J originally (though I just realized I am unsure if that was with the full dose or half dose of Moderna as the booster). But I haven’t seen similar for those who originally got Pfizer. I will be eligible in a week, but may wait another month or two depending on my work schedule and DH’s travel schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    I have been wondering this too. I saw some data comparing immune response to different boosters in those who got J&J originally (though I just realized I am unsure if that was with the full dose or half dose of Moderna as the booster). But I haven’t seen similar for those who originally got Pfizer. I will be eligible in a week, but may wait another month or two depending on my work schedule and DH’s travel schedule.
    Here are a couple write ups from epidemiologists I follow with graphs showing the antibody boost following a Pfizer or Moderna booster after an initial Pfizer series:

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...4Q7IotdiUirmO0 (look at Group 3 and Group 9 on the first figure)
    https://dearpandemic.org/new-mix-and-match-data/

Essentially, Moderna looks to be slightly better, BUT with one big caveat: these trials used the full dose of Moderna (100mcg) as a booster, whereas the authorized booster is only a half dose (50mcg). Therefore, we can't really be sure how an apples-to-apples comparison of a half dose Moderna booster would compare to a full dose Pfizer booster since we don't have those numbers (bummer). However, even a half dose of Moderna is still more vaccine than a full dose of Pfizer (30mcg).
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So...I got Pfizer but kind of want a J&J boost! TWIV was talking about how the J&J is showing more robust response in the Tcells than the other vaccines! Anyone else want that kind of "hetero" boost?

I don't think I qualify though. I'm not old enough, don't have any health conditions and I work from home. I recognize I could get any vaccine I want right now by walking into my neighborhood pharmacy but I also feel ok waiting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast