Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Bills for covid testing?

Last month DH and I took covid tests as a precaution before attending a friend's wedding. We did the one that takes about 2 days for results, at a location we found on covid clinic dot org. Neither of us had any symptoms and results were negative.
    I just got the EOBs in the mail and it looks like we will have to pay $200 each out of pocket. We are both shocked. I thought that testing was supposed to be free to encourage people to test and be safe, unless you take the rapid tests. We haven't gotten a bill yet, just the EOBs. Has anyone else had to pay for testing like this?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Was it an urgent care? Around here, it seems like a lot of the fast med/urgent care places are requiring you to see a provider and you end up with some sort of bill. Usually in the $100-$200 range. Some people have gone because they typically have same-day appointments, unlike a lot of the pharmacies right now. I know one family that ended up spending $500 because it was $100 per person.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Was it an urgent care? Around here, it seems like a lot of the fast med/urgent care places are requiring you to see a provider and you end up with some sort of bill. Usually in the $100-$200 range. Some people have gone because they typically have same-day appointments, unlike a lot of the pharmacies right now. I know one family that ended up spending $500 because it was $100 per person.
    No, we booked through the covid clinic. org website, and made the appointments a few days in advance. That's part of why we are so confused by the cost.

I’m kind of confused on this issue. It seems they are free if you are testing for symptoms, exposure, etc. but insurance doesn’t pay if you are testing for travel, to attend an event, because it’s required for work, etc. I always go to a free clinic in my town to make sure I don’t receive a bill. It isn’t as convenient as they have limited days/hours but I got a surprise bill for a bunch of other things our pediatrician tested my kids for that they really didn’t need and I’m determined not to have that happen again.

ETA: if you had to declare a reason for the test I guess I’m not surprised you might be charged. It could also be though that they submitted for reimbursement from your insurance but won’t go after you for the charge so I wouldn’t panic.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    I’m kind of confused on this issue. It seems they are free if you are testing for symptoms, exposure, etc. but insurance doesn’t pay if you are testing for travel, to attend an event, because it’s required for work, etc. I always go to a free clinic in my town to make sure I don’t receive a bill. It isn’t as convenient as they have limited days/hours but I got a surprise bill for a bunch of other things our pediatrician tested my kids for that they really didn’t need and I’m determined not to have that happen again.

ETA: if you had to declare a reason for the test I guess I’m not surprised you might be charged. It could also be though that they submitted for reimbursement from your insurance but won’t go after you for the charge so I wouldn’t panic.
    That's kinda what we suspect since we didn't have symptoms. It's frustrating though, we were trying to do the right thing and we would have to pay so much. I'm hopeful that we won't actually get a bill. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you are testing due to symptoms, testing is free. If you are testing to be cleared to travel or attend an event, you are responsible for the cost of testing. If you say you are having symptoms or have been exposed, testing is free. I wouldn’t pay the bill until you receive a bill from the provider. They may not bill you.
    Last edited by jgenie; 10-26-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    No, we booked through the covid clinic. org website, and made the appointments a few days in advance. That's part of why we are so confused by the cost.

Gotcha. I’ve stuck to retail pharmacies when we’ve needed to test DS because I’ve heard of confusing info when folks go to some healthcare facilities.

I actually didn’t know that you could be charged depending on your reason for testing.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

We've only done symptomatic testing or testing before medical procedures, so have not been billed for it. But it's my understanding from what others in my area have shared is that for asymptomatic testing, unless you go to a place that is free, you will be billed. So in your case, I would expect to pay for it unless the place says that all testing is free, symptoms or not.
    Last edited by ett; 10-26-2021 at 07:55 PM.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post

My friend went to urgent care when she had covid symptoms. They told her unless she had symptoms she would be charged $200 for a test. To which she broke down crying and said "That's why I'm here. I do have symptoms and I'm trying to do the right thing by getting tested but you want me to pay $200 OOP?" Then the NP said "Oh, I didn't know you had symptoms. It's free then."

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Bills for covid testing?

We had to have DD2 tested at sleepaway camp as it was required for her to attend and the private company who the camp hired said it would be billed to her insurance and so far we have not received a bill. This was in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 10-26-2021 at 09:13 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast