Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When to be worried? Long period

How long is too long for a period to last when you are in your late 40s? Normally my periods are 4-5 days max. Today I’m on day 9, and I still have real bleeding, WTF!?!?! I’m 47 years old, and my periods have been less regular in the past year, but I’ve never had one last this long. It’s not that heavy, but it’s real. Am I supposed to call the gyno and set up an appointment? Ugh, this is so annoying. I don’t want to be on anything hormonal.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    How long is too long for a period to last when you are in your late 40s? Normally my periods are 4-5 days max. Today I’m on day 9, and I still have real bleeding, WTF!?!?! I’m 47 years old, and my periods have been less regular in the past year, but I’ve never had one last this long. It’s not that heavy, but it’s real. Am I supposed to call the gyno and set up an appointment? Ugh, this is so annoying. I don’t want to be on anything hormonal.
    Thanks!

My close friend, same age, has been having this issue even with an IUD inserted recently to help. IUD has definitely helped, but it is not perfect. Her gyn does not seem concerned, but it is probably worth reaching out to yours just to be sure.

I am not sure that there is much to do without hormones.

[QUOTE=georgiegirl;4408372]How long is too long for a period to last when you are in your late 40s? /QUOTE]

Might be perimenopause. My periods went from 4-5 days to 21 days of bleeding (yes, I didn't mistype that) as soon as I turned 46. Prob a good idea to give your OB/gyn a call, though.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My friend had the same thing - she felt like she bled for a month ! She's all back to "normal" now -- but at our age, I don't know what's normal anymore, lol

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Thanks!

Have you had a recent covid booster?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Good point. My cycle certainly got wonky after my shots (no booster yet).

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My longest was about 5 weeks. It was horrendous, in the mist of the worst of the pandemic. I was on the brink of calling the doctor when it finally stopped, but did not want to go in due to fear of covid exposure.

The internet says to call after 7 days. If you have a doctor that you like and you think would help, give a call and explain the situation. I have heard since that they can give you a short course of medication (I am not sure what) to help get the hormones back on track....

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Four weeks ago.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Try ginger capsules. I learned about it in my heavy periods Facebook group. I tried it this past period and noticed a difference. https://www.naturalmedicinejournal.c...trual-bleeding

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I would call. It could be a sign of pre menopause when your cycle start to change. Especially if that wasn’t your norm in the past.

My cycles is always long periods, so for me anything with 7 days is normal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast