wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default What menstrual products to use with IUD?

My last IUD was 11 years ago. I'm sure I was using tampons back then.

I've been using a cup for at least the past 5 years. I've read mixed information on cup wearing with an IUD because strings can get "caught" on removal or suction can cause expulsion of the IUD. But then I've read some mixed info on using tampons with an IUD too. I don't think the MD trimmed the strings at all because they feel very long. I'm also very petite and have a lower sitting cervix and so my cervix sits right at or probably inside a bit any cup I use. I also have to use a cup with a very firm construction or else is slips down/out and so relieving the suction to pull it out takes effort. I've also read that you aren't supposed to use cup or tampon for a few cycles after IUD insertion as risk of dislodging and expulsion are greatest in the first month or so.

IUD was inserted 2 weeks ago. AF is due any moment. The reason for the IUD is VERY heavy flow and so I can't really go with just a pad. I did ask the PA about cup use and she just said to be very careful upon removal. But then I had the failed insertion. Then when I had the next attempted insertion with the MD that turned into such a fiasco of trying to shove the sucker in that I forgot to ask her what her recommendation was.

What product(s) should I use????
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What menstrual products to use with IUD?

No cup, as far as I know. Tampons are fine. The strings will curl up or they can trim them (they really should have!). I used tampons from the get go each time I got a new IUD.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 11-02-2021 at 10:13 AM.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If the strings are bothering you then yes call and ask them for an appointment for them to trim them. While there you can ask about your options. But they do need to be just long enough that you do feel them.
    I've used cloth pads since getting my 1st mirena (I'm on my 3rd). I remember getting a period occasionally during that first 5 years and the cloth pads were enough (the timing was all over the map so I just wore a cloth pantyliner daily so I was covered just in case).

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No IUD but for my heaviest days I use Pink Lemonade minky cloth pads plus Thinx or Dear Kate period panties.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I have an IUD, but I've never had a period on it. I am so glad you posted this though because I was a previous cup user. If it ever comes back I would have gone with the cup without even thinking about it.

And a FAILED INSERTION?! You are a brave woman for going back in. The successful insertion was bad enough....I can't imagine having to do it again.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    I have an IUD, but I've never had a period on it. I am so glad you posted this though because I was a previous cup user. If it ever comes back I would have gone with the cup without even thinking about it.

And a FAILED INSERTION?! You are a brave woman for going back in. The successful insertion was bad enough....I can't imagine having to do it again.
    Yeah the MD said I had a high pain tolerance. I have my anatomy and a forward titled uterus to blame for it taking 3 attempts (2 visits). I asked if I could blame either child for the difficulty and she said no but to feel free to blame them anyway lol. This sucker better work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use my diva cup with my IUD. The string is really tucked up and its never been an issue. No way would I ever have gotten an iud if I had to give up my diva cup! Esp if I couldnt use tampons!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Here's the Diva Cup and IUD info straight from Diva Cup https://divacup.com/iuds-and-the-menstrual-cup/
    Basically they say it should be ok but not to use it for a few cycles.