Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,546

    Default When are we getting unblinded??

    DS is in the Pfizer study for 5-11 year olds. They told us that we would be unblinded as soon as the EUA was approved so that the kids who received the placebo could get the vaccine immediately. I've been waiting for them to call/email since Monday with a plan as to when this would occur. They knew the approval was coming, so I thought for sure they'd be proactive based on what they told us and what our paperwork says. Here I sit, wondering if my kid needs to get the vaccine or not. I could be taking him to get his vaccine if needed but I'm on pins and needles still. I "think" he got the vaccine but I don't know. I'm a bit perturbed right now. I'm happy to stay in the trial and drive 2.5 hours so they can get bloodwork, etc for the next 24 months but if they don't unblind us soon like they promised I'm pulling him out just so I can find out, which is exactly what they told us they didn't want and why they were going to unblind ASAP.

  2. #2
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    13,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    DS is in the Pfizer study for 5-11 year olds. They told us that we would be unblinded as soon as the EUA was approved so that the kids who received the placebo could get the vaccine immediately. I've been waiting for them to call/email since Monday with a plan as to when this would occur. They knew the approval was coming, so I thought for sure they'd be proactive based on what they told us and what our paperwork says. Here I sit, wondering if my kid needs to get the vaccine or not. I could be taking him to get his vaccine if needed but I'm on pins and needles still. I "think" he got the vaccine but I don't know. I'm a bit perturbed right now. I'm happy to stay in the trial and drive 2.5 hours so they can get bloodwork, etc for the next 24 months but if they don't unblind us soon like they promised I'm pulling him out just so I can find out, which is exactly what they told us they didn't want and why they were going to unblind ASAP.
    That seems totally fair! Thank you for being willing to be part of the group that got us this far. Here's hoping you get what you need immediately!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    That seems totally fair! Thank you for being willing to be part of the group that got us this far. Here's hoping you get what you need immediately!
    This! I don't blame you for being annoyed. Hopefully not knowing means they are telling the placebo kids first and are just now like "oh yeah we should probably let the vaccinated kids know too..."
    Angie

    Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

  4. #4
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    This! I don't blame you for being annoyed. Hopefully not knowing means they are telling the placebo kids first and are just now like "oh yeah we should probably let the vaccinated kids know too..."
    This is what I told DH at supper. "Maybe they're not calling us because he got the real one and they want to get the placebo kids in to get the shot before they let us know."

  5. #5
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,820

    Default

    Eeeek I agree that you should have been notified asap but maybe something fell through the cracks. Is there a number/email you can contact (if you haven't already)? And I would totally go ahead and make him an appointment for a few days out, that way you at least have an appointment ready to go in case you find out in the next few days that he was in the placebo arm....

    Fingers crossed you hear back SOON and if not, you are more than justified in pulling him out!!

  6. #6
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,329

    Default

    I have a friend whose son is in the Pfizer trial and they got the call about an hour ago, so hopefully your call comes soon.

  7. #7
    KpbS's Avatar
    KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,107

    Default

    I bet your instinct is right and they are contacting the placebo volunteers first. Our state is not ready with shots at our pharmacies, ped clinics, and hospitals. It seems the different dosing and uncertainty of approval have slowed the whole process down.
    K

  8. #8
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,546

    Default

    I got an email this morning that we could call to start the unblinding process if we were interested. So I called and we will find out tomorrow.

  9. #9
    NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I got an email this morning that we could call to start the unblinding process if we were interested. So I called and we will find out tomorrow.
    🤞🤞(Call "if you were interested"?? Who wouldn’t be!)


    Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

  10. #10
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    13,670

    Default

    Woot! At least you'll know! How great would it be if you got the actual vaccine already? And in any case, you'll be able to plan!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •