Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default When are we getting unblinded??

DS is in the Pfizer study for 5-11 year olds. They told us that we would be unblinded as soon as the EUA was approved so that the kids who received the placebo could get the vaccine immediately. I've been waiting for them to call/email since Monday with a plan as to when this would occur. They knew the approval was coming, so I thought for sure they'd be proactive based on what they told us and what our paperwork says. Here I sit, wondering if my kid needs to get the vaccine or not. I could be taking him to get his vaccine if needed but I'm on pins and needles still. I "think" he got the vaccine but I don't know. I'm a bit perturbed right now. I'm happy to stay in the trial and drive 2.5 hours so they can get bloodwork, etc for the next 24 months but if they don't unblind us soon like they promised I'm pulling him out just so I can find out, which is exactly what they told us they didn't want and why they were going to unblind ASAP.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    DS is in the Pfizer study for 5-11 year olds. They told us that we would be unblinded as soon as the EUA was approved so that the kids who received the placebo could get the vaccine immediately. I've been waiting for them to call/email since Monday with a plan as to when this would occur. They knew the approval was coming, so I thought for sure they'd be proactive based on what they told us and what our paperwork says. Here I sit, wondering if my kid needs to get the vaccine or not. I could be taking him to get his vaccine if needed but I'm on pins and needles still. I "think" he got the vaccine but I don't know. I'm a bit perturbed right now. I'm happy to stay in the trial and drive 2.5 hours so they can get bloodwork, etc for the next 24 months but if they don't unblind us soon like they promised I'm pulling him out just so I can find out, which is exactly what they told us they didn't want and why they were going to unblind ASAP.
    That seems totally fair! Thank you for being willing to be part of the group that got us this far. Here's hoping you get what you need immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    That seems totally fair! Thank you for being willing to be part of the group that got us this far. Here's hoping you get what you need immediately!
    This! I don't blame you for being annoyed. Hopefully not knowing means they are telling the placebo kids first and are just now like "oh yeah we should probably let the vaccinated kids know too..."
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    This! I don't blame you for being annoyed. Hopefully not knowing means they are telling the placebo kids first and are just now like "oh yeah we should probably let the vaccinated kids know too..."
    This is what I told DH at supper. "Maybe they're not calling us because he got the real one and they want to get the placebo kids in to get the shot before they let us know."

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Eeeek I agree that you should have been notified asap but maybe something fell through the cracks. Is there a number/email you can contact (if you haven't already)? And I would totally go ahead and make him an appointment for a few days out, that way you at least have an appointment ready to go in case you find out in the next few days that he was in the placebo arm....

Fingers crossed you hear back SOON and if not, you are more than justified in pulling him out!!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a friend whose son is in the Pfizer trial and they got the call about an hour ago, so hopefully your call comes soon.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I bet your instinct is right and they are contacting the placebo volunteers first. Our state is not ready with shots at our pharmacies, ped clinics, and hospitals. It seems the different dosing and uncertainty of approval have slowed the whole process down.
    K

I got an email this morning that we could call to start the unblinding process if we were interested. So I called and we will find out tomorrow.

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I got an email this morning that we could call to start the unblinding process if we were interested. So I called and we will find out tomorrow.
    🤞🤞(Call "if you were interested"?? Who wouldn’t be!)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Woot! At least you'll know! How great would it be if you got the actual vaccine already? And in any case, you'll be able to plan!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast