Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sending my thoughts and prayers to you. From friends, basic advice was to accept all help that is offered.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Sending healing thoughts to you. I hope you have the best possible outcomes.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Positive thoughts and prayers headed your way.
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I don't have advice to offer, but will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for the coming months!!!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a friend with triple negative breast cancer who completed chemo this summer, had a double mastectomy in august, and is now starting weekly radiation. She did lose her hair/eyebrows/lashes. She initially bought a wig and several head wraps but found her scalp became really sensitive and wearing them was uncomfortable or too hot. She grew used to her bald head and went bald 99% of the time. Her brows and lashes were the last to fall out and met with a cosmetologist and did get a brow pencil and learned to draw on brows. Right at the start of her hair beginning to fall out she decided she wanted to be in control of that process and scheduled an appointment at her salon to have it all shaved off. She felt that for her that approach would be easier emotionally than dealing with the daily clumps of hair falling out.

She has kept a daily gratitude journal and her mantra has been "all joy." She felt this has helped her to reflect on the good of each day, even if it was one small thing like "took a shower" and to not lose sight of joy. She also had to work REALLY hard on being vulnerable in accepting others help. She's fiercely independent and so not used to accepting help.

Keeping you in my thoughts!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Sending so many positive thoughts and prayers your way. Take good care.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I work in the pre and post op area and my unit does the oncology breast patients. After seeing my friends do go through breast CA of different type and seeing the recover time of mastectomy + reconstruction and just mastectomy I have decided if I ever had breast CA I would not opt for reconstruction. It is a very individual choice with a lot of variables to consider. However, I don’t think we do a very good job in medicine or society allowing women to make that choice. If you are really rethinking that aspect of your care I would urge you to have a conversation with your care team about it.

As far as tissue expanders, some people have a lot more trouble with them than others. They can really suck. Please be mindful of your shoulder range of motion. A lot of people wind up holding their arm slightly away from their body because it can trigger pain/spasm. One of my friends had such issues with such bad spasms she wound up with frozen shoulder because of the way she was limiting her movement. There are physical therapists that specialize in chest muscle issues s/p reconstruction if you wind up having problems. I would urge you to go for PT if need be.
    Last edited by dogmom; 11-05-2021 at 03:55 PM.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Right at the start of her hair beginning to fall out she decided she wanted to be in control of that process and scheduled an appointment at her salon to have it all shaved off. She felt that for her that approach would be easier emotionally than dealing with the daily clumps of hair falling out.
    I'm doing this as well - next Saturday! Not quite sure how short I'll actually go - I think just a REALLY good chop as my hair is fairly long today (longest it's EVER been).

No advice but sending prayers.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Chemo session #1 was complete yesterday.
    1 Down, 7 to go! I can do this! I've got this!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast