Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So unfair!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default So unfair!

DS has a medical condition with nerve pain. After a rough first year of being diagnosed, he’s been functional with daily life for the last 2 years including playing AYSO soccer, which he’s loved since under 5 division. He’s now in U19, everyone is size of a grown man and the play is rougher (lots of yellow cards handed out this season) and the refs don’t call every foul - volunteer refs, they don’t see everything and some are better than others. DS has been getting upset with the referring and today it came out why - if he gets hurt, he’ll have months of flare-ups and be back in the hospital. He doesn’t want to play anymore. We talked about other options to stay involved, other rec leagues etc but the reality is he may need to stop playing as it’s a contact sport, and change sports to something that doesn’t have contact. I’m upset as he’s loved playing since he was 4, but his time with it may be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m so sorry. I hope your DS finds something he loves just as much that will be safe for him.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That really stinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm really sorry. It sounds like he is making a really mature decision. It is so unfair.

((((hugs))))
    K

I'm sorry. Hope he finds something else he enjoys. My son is a referee and stopped doing the "old man" games. These used to be great for his busy schedule because they were late on weeknights and paid well for one game, but they kept having fist fights. My 17 year old should not have to be a witness on police reports for recreational soccer for the 30 or 40+ sets.

If there are paid referees in your area it is a good way to stay involved in the sport, get paid, and decent exercise. DS had to stop playing because of his schedule his sophomore year in high school but continues to referee.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That's incredibly hard - for your DS and for you too, to see him needing to make that decision.
    Lizi

I'm sorry for your DS. That is unfair he's in the position to make such a decision.

Would he be interested in reffing as a way to stay engaged in the game of soccer? My DS1 refs on the side. It's a great part time job for a high school student. The local rec league games for the younger kids are low key and he really enjoys it.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Oh gosh, life is so unfair sometimes. It’s a smart decision, but doesn’t make kit all the more easier to swallow.

I agree with pp that referring is a great way of staying involved with games. Perhaps certification to become a coach? DH and brother in law became coaches in their rec and school teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

YES!!! It is incredibly unfair!!! Our medically "fragile" kids have to make so many choices that others cannot even fathom. Sending hugs to you both and hopes that he finds a passion that is safer for him!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast