Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So unfair!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    DS has a medical condition with nerve pain. After a rough first year of being diagnosed, he’s been functional with daily life for the last 2 years including playing AYSO soccer, which he’s loved since under 5 division. He’s now in U19, everyone is size of a grown man and the play is rougher (lots of yellow cards handed out this season) and the refs don’t call every foul - volunteer refs, they don’t see everything and some are better than others. DS has been getting upset with the referring and today it came out why - if he gets hurt, he’ll have months of flare-ups and be back in the hospital. He doesn’t want to play anymore. We talked about other options to stay involved, other rec leagues etc but the reality is he may need to stop playing as it’s a contact sport, and change sports to something that doesn’t have contact. I’m upset as he’s loved playing since he was 4, but his time with it may be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Oh, I'm so sorry for him. Moving on from it must be so hard.

Soccer does indeed get incredibly physical as time goes on. It got to the point where I honestly hated watching some of the games and my kids never made it as high as U19 (nor were they in the uber-competitive levels). It's just a reality of the sport. Some teams were renowned for their ability to "play dirty" and not draw attention from the refs, it was at times appalling.

Maybe he would enjoy refing, but I think I'd see if he'd like to get involved with coaching whatever his favorite age group is. A co-worker did it on the side and found it incredibly rewarding, and it was a paid position for a competitive team so he earned some cash too!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I totally see why this is unfair and you're upset! I am so glad that your DS is in a good position now. And you guys really are so smart to recognize that his health and wellbeing could be in jeopardy if you continue down that path. So kudos to both of you for choosing the smarter option. I don't have any suggestions to help him find something he loves to fill the hole. That totally sucks.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Thanks all. I needed to vent about it! DS loves soccer.He was going to age out next season from AYSO, and we hoped he could finish it out. We were about to decrease the frequency of DS’ psych appointments, but won’t now as he deals with the issue. He walked back the “I want to quit” so he may still play again, but he needs to deal with the limitations he has

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2