California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Hiking Boots Under $100?

For Christmas we do "Want/Need/Wear/Read... plus Santa" lists. DD's "wear" is hiking boots. Any suggestions for boots under $100? Her "Want/Need/Santa" items aren't cheap. (Miss the days they were happy with inexpensive toys!)

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Actual hiking boots for real hiking? I have these Columbia boots that I only paid $68 for at the time.

Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006A1EZ86...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Columbia is still a good brand. My BiL and wife who are avid hikers both wear Columbia. You won’t get leather or water/weatherproof for that price but the ones that Essnce posted should work.

Mine are Vasque and have lasted years.

Could you do an REI gift card so she could try on some brands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Columbia is still a good brand. My BiL and wife who are avid hikers both wear Columbia. You won’t get leather or water/weatherproof for that price but the ones that Essnce posted should work.

Mine are Vasque and have lasted years.

Could you do an REI gift card so she could try on some brands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fit and comfort are major factors in any kind of footwear, but especially hiking shoes. When DGDs were really little, I took a chance and ordered footwear for them, but I definitely agree with the REI gift card idea. Not sure if OP has a good REI nearby but we’ve had very good experiences with REI in various locations. Good brands, very knowledgeable staff, and generous return policy.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Sierra Trading Post has great deals. If you can try on shoes somewhere and then buy them there, that is an option. Also--does she need full on boots or just hiking shoes? Or even trail running shoes? I love my hiking shoes for 90% of the hiking that I do. I use boots for backpacking and longer hiking trips that involve rock scrambling and river wading. I know plenty of people who backpack in trail running shoes and hiking shoes--saves the weight and keeps your legs from getting too tired.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Sierra Trading Post has great deals. If you can try on shoes somewhere and then buy them there, that is an option. Also--does she need full on boots or just hiking shoes? Or even trail running shoes? I love my hiking shoes for 90% of the hiking that I do. I use boots for backpacking and longer hiking trips that involve rock scrambling and river wading. I know plenty of people who backpack in trail running shoes and hiking shoes--saves the weight and keeps your legs from getting too tired.
    Seconding this. I wear trail runners or low cut hiking shoes for 95% of my hiking and only wear boots if I'm carrying a heavy pack (even a medium pack these days I prefer the other footwear over the heavier boots). I find the tread just as good if not better, and comfort is way better. I have waterproof versions and non-waterproof depending where I'm hiking - I mostly use waterproof but sometimes fast drying regular trail runners are better!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for the recommendations. You are right, I think she'll be happier with shoes vs boots and her real goal is to get a shoe with a good hiking tread. We live by the coast and there are a lot of beautiful trails here that wouldn't require a boot. She's been hiking in running shoes and needs a better grip on some of the trails. Waterproof also won't be an issue for 99% of her hikes.

Fortunately in regards to sizing- Her foot is almost the exact same shape/size as mine, so if its comfortable on me it'll be comfortable for her!