Unhappy There is NO SNOW!!!

Long awaited first ski trip to Utah and there is no $^%#& snow. There was snow in October. What happened?!!

Dreaded breaking the news to kiddo who has been jabbering incessantly about this trip for months. All he watched on Youtube was skiing videos. It got so bad that his suitcase was confiscated for all the obsessive packing and repacking of gear (headlamps, marshmallows, blankets, stuffies...) He's in denial and insists there is indeed snow... I so wish.
    DS 2014

Oh no! I heard that it was in the high 50's up there earlier this week.

Oh dear! I hope you all are able to make the best of it!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm so sorry!! I'm sure it'll be an awesome trip though! It sounds like skiing wasn't the only thing he was excited by since it looks like marshmallows factor in.

meh. They will make snow. I know people who are already skiing at Brighton. It's not the best conditions but it's skiable. And the mountains are 10-20 degrees colder than the valley. If you regularly ski, then yes it will suck. But if you don't and this is your one trip, it will be fine. It's colder this week than last!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Unfortunately, skiing at this time of year is a huge gamble. Hope they are making snow at least, if you are in the Cottonwood canyons's the higher elevation will help too. Hope you still have a great trip.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I hear you. I mentioned in passing to my DD that maybe we could go up to Maine after thanksgiving. More to set up the condo, bring stuff up, etc, but now she’s thinking we are going to be skiing and I don’t think we are with the weather forecast!

I hope you’ll be ok since it’s your first trip, and hopefully they’ll blow snow on the beginner terrain!

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So sorry! Which resort are you going to? There are likely to be lots of other, non-ski activities if there still isn't snow when you arrive that you can use to fill in the days and have a wonderful mountain getaway. And if your kids aren't seasoned skiers, even the few slopes open with man-made snow (assuming it's not one of the resorts that have totally postponed opening day) will be a blast.

I know this is the bitching post and you probably know this already, but if planning a ski trip in the future aim for January to March for much better snow conditions. Even winter break can be iffy if the snowpack is late. Not to say you won't still have fun this time!