Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Turkey Breast for 8-9 people??

Friend suggested we do a turkey breast for our Thanksgiving to keep things easier. Would one breast be enough or need to get 2?? Any recipes ideas? Or should I stick with a turkey? I’m cooking it. I like having leftovers. Every year this friend suggests a turkey breast and every year we end up with a whole turkey. Maybe this year we should try the breast instead to make things easier

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 11-19-2021 at 03:07 AM.

klwa is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Most of the "turkey calculators that I'm finding say that for 8 people, you're looking at an 8-10 lb turkey. If you want left overs, you're looking at a 12+ lb turkey or turkey breast. I don't think a turkey breast is really any "easier" to fix than a turkey, it's just smaller. So, if you're fixing it and you like left overs or someone at your table likes dark meat, I'd stick with a turkey. If you only really like the white meat and can find a large enough turkey breast, I'd go that route.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It doesn’t sound like enough to me. My FIL buys a 20lb Turkey even when just that many people.
    Also, a lot of people like dark meat so maybe ask around? If so, a breast and some drumsticks and assorted other pieces might work.
    Last year was our first time in ages having to cook our turkey and it didn’t go well. Our “fresh never frozen” Whole Foods Turkey had absolutely been frozen/was still partially frozen (picked it up late Tuesday night, kept it in the fridge, tons on ice crystals still on Thursday). So, my cooking times were all off as I didn’t realize how cold it was to start. Unless I could guarantee that my Turkey hadn’t been frozen, I might opt for the a la carte next time. I do think it would be easier.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I say it depends on your crowd. Do they only eat white meat? Are they big turkey eaters, or do they prefer the sides?

I would think cooking 2 breasts isn't that much easier than just doing a whole bird. I usually have 8 people at my Thanksgiving table, and normally cook a 12-14 lb turkey. However, we LOVE having leftovers (it's the best part of Thanksgiving!), and there are a mix of white and dark meat eaters.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Last year was our first time in ages having to cook our turkey and it didn’t go well. Our “fresh never frozen” Whole Foods Turkey had absolutely been frozen/was still partially frozen (picked it up late Tuesday night, kept it in the fridge, tons on ice crystals still on Thursday). So, my cooking times were all off as I didn’t realize how cold it was to start. Unless I could guarantee that my Turkey hadn’t been frozen, I might opt for the a la carte next time. I do think it would be easier.
    I had the total opposite experience from Whole Foods last year! Normally I purchase my turkeys at Costco, which feel rock solid when I bring them home, even when they're labeled as "fresh." Last year was the first time I purchased my turkey from WF, and it was completely squishy to the touch. I had picked it up early in anticipation of needing a couple extra days to fully defrost, so I was worried it would spoil. I actually ended up throwing it in my freezer for a day or two!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We’ve got 2 breasts for a crowd that size, each a little under 5 lbs. We will have a lot of sides.

I find stripping a turkey carcass of dark meat to be a ton of work, even after I put stuff in the instant pot and it softens all the cartilage, etc.. It does make better stock.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I used to be part of a civic group that fed 100+ people a Thanksgiving meal. We got Turkey loafs (They were called Turkey breasts but they weren’t really pure breasts, that’s why I call them loafs) from our local grocer. They were a combination of dark and white meat and were delicious. Best turkey ever and so easy to cook. Just pop it in a bag and let it go. Maybe that’s what she means when she says turkey breast?

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Turkey Breast for 8-9 people??

So I’m seeing whole boneless turkey breast at whole foods that are 4-8lbs each. A calculator I looked at said for a turkey breast allow 0.5 lbs per person. A bigger breast then would cover us, wouldn’t it? 7 people are definitely coming, and one of those won’t eat turkey and the other eats very little. Still waiting to hear if 2 people are coming or not. People will eat white or dark meat. I think I’m the only one that eats more dark. I do like leftovers though

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    So I’m seeing whole boneless turkey breast at whole foods that are 4-8lbs each. A calculator I looked at said for a turkey breast allow 0.5 lbs per person. A bigger breast then would cover us, wouldn’t it? 7 people are definitely coming, and one of those won’t eat turkey and the other eats very little. Still waiting to hear if 2 people are coming or not. People will eat white or dark meat. I think I’m the only one that eats more dark. I do like leftovers though

I think it is enough. I'm one of those who would much rather cook a turkey breast than a whole bird. I like leftovers too but not for the extra hassle of stuffing the bird, dealing with all the icky organs (what are those called?), and dealing with picking all the bones.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are a group of ten for Thanksgiving. I do a nine pound breast plus legs. I cook/debone the legs the morning before, and use the bones & skin to make stock, which I then make into gravy the day of. I cook the breast day of, and steam the dark meat to reheat. (Dark meat is very forgiving in reheating.) Very little of the dark meat gets eaten, but I prefer it for soup in the winter so I just chop it and freeze. Ay leftover breast meat gets made into sandwiches.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast