Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would buy a 10lb turkey minimum for 7 people. If you can get a 10lb breast and everyone likes white meat that is great but I know plenty of people who like dark meat too. If you are good with leftovers then maybe even an 10-13lb. turkey is good.

I did a 4 lb. or so breast last year and it was okay (I bought it from Sprouts pre cooked), but we don’t eat a ton of leftovers so the size was right for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

It will just be 4 of us and I am going to buy a turkey. I have done a breast before and I really didn't like it as much. I can freeze leftover turkey, though. YMMV.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a Butterball Turkey Breast from Costco. 4.75 lbs. It says 17 4 oz servings. We have 8 and there are leftovers. Not a huge amount but enough.

Another option would be to add a second entree like a ham?
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Turkey Breast for 8-9 people??

Thanks for the advice. I decided to do a turkey after all. Part of me wanted the turkey breast for ease of prep, but I like the dark meat for leftovers. I think I’m going to spatchcock the turkey for quicker cooking time though

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 11-20-2021 at 12:47 PM.

I used a variation on this recipe last year and it turned out beautifully. So much easier than waiting all day for the giant turkey to roast, and I loved that I could do the gravy ahead of time. I don't like stuffing so I skipped that part.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/recip...d-gravy/11042/

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I decided to do a turkey after all. Part of me wanted to truths breast for ease of prep, but I like the dark meat for leftovers. I think I’m going to spatchcock the turkey for quicker cooking time though

We always do a whole turkey for even just the 4 of us. I use a clay pot which cuts way down on the cooking time. I'd never heard of 'spatchcock the turkey'. Looks very interesting!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    I used a variation on this recipe last year and it turned out beautifully. So much easier than waiting all day for the giant turkey to roast, and I loved that I could do the gravy ahead of time. I don't like stuffing so I skipped that part.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/recip...d-gravy/11042/
    Thanks for this! I know I said less prep, but I don’t mind doing things days ahead. I do like making gravy ahead of time

Default Turkey Breast for 8-9 people??

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    We always do a whole turkey for even just the 4 of us. I use a clay pot which cuts way down on the cooking time. I'd never heard of 'spatchcock the turkey'. Looks very interesting!
    SIL does it and swears by it. I’ve had chicken that way but it was already prepared. I want to try something new this year so this will be interesting! I read you need good poultry shears, which I have, so hopefully it’s not too difficult. I’ll watch some YouTube videos too.

I was still on the fence with the breast or the whole turkey and called MIL. No idea why I couldn’t decide. Works been very stressful and I think I was in decision making overload. She’s good at talking these things out. She said while turkey for the leftovers and the flavor

Last edited by niccig; 11-20-2021 at 01:01 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a 16 lb turkey for 4 of us, I much prefer a whole turkey as I'm a dark meat person. I don't find the turkey takes that much time to prep (and I'm the one doing all the cooking). A friend did the Spatchcock method last year and said it was good but yes some good shears are important.

I did a turkey breast one year for Canadian Thanksgiving as it falls on a Monday, and I worked, and didn't plan ahead to defrost a frozen turkey. It was ok, not cheap and I missed having dark meat and the "flavor" I get from a turkey (and I make my gravy from drippings).

I know people are saying how it's so expensive but turkeys around here range from .33 to .99 a turkey, the antibiotic free one's at Sam's are 1.19, which to me isn't crazy.

So I found this article and video on how to spatchcock a turkey https://www.huffpost.com/entry/spatc...b0ae9a429ae619

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast