Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wendibird22 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default I have no idea what to get DH for Xmas (or birthday 2 months later!)

DH is so hard to buy for.

He deer hunts, but already has cold weather gear, binoculars, a good knife, etc.

He does most of our cooking, but has most of the kitchen and BBQ gadgets he'd need. Sous vide cooker or a smoker are the only things he doesn't have and I'm not 100% he'd use.

He's not into clothes. He prefers cheap and wears it till it falls apart. Ever since the pandemic he insists on wearing the same khaki pants and blue button down dress shirt for work (he has 5 sets) so that he doesn't have to think about what to wear each day. So he's abandoned mix/match dress clothes and ties.

He has a few favorite sports teams but how much fan gear can one person have. He's got tshirt, sweatshirt, jersey, baseball hat thing covered.

He's really hard to buy "experiences" for because while he enjoys them, he's a teacher and so he gets no personal time off and won't go to something on a school night that ends super late since he absolutely has to work the next day. So concerts, games, etc have to fall on a Friday, Sat, Sun (daytime), or fall over the vacation break. For example, I looked at March Madness tickets and there's a bracket being played close by. But it's a 3 game ticket at over $200 per ticket and he'd only be able to attend 1 of the 3 games because the first two are a week day during the daytime.

I've done "beer for a year" club with a local microbrew (that has now closed!) and a mail order whiskey club. He already has streaming radio for his car. He has all the tech he needs (new iphone, apple watch, ipods).

I'm just stumped....
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What about renting him a cabin where he could chill and hunt for a weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You said Apple Watch so maybe a new watch band? It can be fun to swap those out. And I have to vouch for the milanese loop (apple brand), it is AMAZING and it looks so good. The sports bands are also super comfy, I have an (Apple Watch x nike) sports band that's really comfortable.

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Does he have a kettle grill? DH uses a Slow 'N Sear to smoke on his Weber grill and has made amazing brisket, pork, chicken, and turkey. He likes that it's easy to smoke and do zoned cooking with it.

Thought of something else since you said he likes whiskey: ice cube tray to make large cubes. Great for not watering down drinks.
    Last edited by trentsmom; 11-19-2021 at 01:44 PM.
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have given Dh the travel decanter and the neat glasses from Aged & Ore https://agedandore.com/ The neat glasses are both of our favorites. They have a good heft to them but still optimize aroma.

Also I gave DH a smoker for fathers day one year when I couldn't think of anything else, just got a relatively inexpensive one from Lowe's. I really wasnt sure he would like it, he will grill stuff but isn't "into" it, but he has loved the smoker and we have since upgraded to a better model. It might be worth a shot.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sous vide. My DH loves his he got a few Christmases ago.
    K

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a gas grill but DH is in LOVE with his Blackstone griddle. During the pandemic he went through a phase of making breakfast and lunch on it almost every single day! Bacon, eggs, pancakes, stir fries, steaks, burgers, scollops, shrimp, salmon... it cooks it all. Although it shows the pics with a small propane tank it comes with an adaptor so you can use a large one.

Be aware: bc this one is "adventure ready" he has insisted on taking it with us on adventures (like glamping, or when we rented a house for vaca) lol.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackston...8?athbdg=L1600
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Another idea to go along with the others: a firepit like the Solo Stove or Breeo, depending on your budget. I hear Breeo will have a Black Friday sale this year (their stuff NEVER goes on sale). DH loves, LOVES, LOVES our Breeo. There's just something about men and fire and beer, hahaha. And we cook on ours often. It's a lot of fun.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DH is currently obsessed with cooking in cast iron. We have the Lodge Fry pans in every size, the griddle, ect. Those and his Big Green Egg are things he uses at least four times a week.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    DH is so hard to buy for.

He deer hunts, but already has cold weather gear, binoculars, a good knife, etc.

He does most of our cooking, but has most of the kitchen and BBQ gadgets he'd need. Sous vide cooker or a smoker are the only things he doesn't have and I'm not 100% he'd use.

He's not into clothes. He prefers cheap and wears it till it falls apart. Ever since the pandemic he insists on wearing the same khaki pants and blue button down dress shirt for work (he has 5 sets) so that he doesn't have to think about what to wear each day. So he's abandoned mix/match dress clothes and ties.

He has a few favorite sports teams but how much fan gear can one person have. He's got tshirt, sweatshirt, jersey, baseball hat thing covered.

He's really hard to buy "experiences" for because while he enjoys them, he's a teacher and so he gets no personal time off and won't go to something on a school night that ends super late since he absolutely has to work the next day. So concerts, games, etc have to fall on a Friday, Sat, Sun (daytime), or fall over the vacation break. For example, I looked at March Madness tickets and there's a bracket being played close by. But it's a 3 game ticket at over $200 per ticket and he'd only be able to attend 1 of the 3 games because the first two are a week day during the daytime.

I've done "beer for a year" club with a local microbrew (that has now closed!) and a mail order whiskey club. He already has streaming radio for his car. He has all the tech he needs (new iphone, apple watch, ipods).

I'm just stumped....
    Who does he hunt with? If it’s a friend or relative, could you ask them what gear he might have been talking about buying? Anything that might need replacing? Or maybe this hunting buddy just has some thoughts of things that would be appreciated?

My dad and brother were hunters. Thick warm socks were important for sitting out in the tree stands. What about heated gloves? Or a heated seat, like the ones used for stadium seating? A lot of that stuff depends on how he hunts (in a tree stand or a box/blind) as well as the climate.

ETA: I had some more thoughts. What about a hunting magazine subscription? I remember my dad loved the articles about different hunting techniques preferred by different hunters. It could give him ideas of new tech developed for hunting or even just staying comfortable. It could also give him something to do while he is sitting out there waiting for the deer to show up.

Does he ever have the antlers mounted? How do you guys have the deer processed? Maybe a gift certificate to a different processing place to try something new? Or find a mix of different meat rubs or mix-in spices specifically for venison? Cookbook of favorite venison recipes?
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 11-20-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast