Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Update! Booked AC Nice or the Amalfi Coast?

After Paris and before Florence we want several days to just simply chill. I spent the last week down an Amalfi Coast rabbit hole and found a lot of good options and fine tuned my preferred areas (Ravello and Praiano are in the lead based on properties we have found and descriptions of the regions). We aren't really planning beach days- more laze about on our terrace and venture out for food or cook in our kitchen. A view of the sea is pretty much my driving force. If we did the AC we would do a day trip to Capri and some hiking. We would fly from Paris to Rome or Naples and arrange transfers from there. I don't want a car there as the driving and parking situation looks challenging.

Nice also looks appealing and, in some ways, maybe easier? At the present time we do not plan to rent a car (I know from past threads on here that that is ideal but we just want to do the train as we have limited time and don't plan to linger or sightsee along the way). So train from Paris is 5 hours. We might rent a car to get to Florence though flights are less than $150 with 1 stop (no directs) and 3.5 hours; train is 7.5 hours.

If you had to choose 1 of these, what would you pick? I beg you to please not add any alternative locations/second guess my plan because, trust me, I have spent hours researching everything and my head can't take anymore decisions. I know we could be doing things different/better but I'm ok with that. Thank you!
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 02-14-2022 at 10:28 PM.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I haven't been to Nice - but Ravello is one of my favorite places I've stayed. Easy day / half day trips from there, great food, charming town etc. Agree with not having a car there. What fun!

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Count me in as someone who has dreamed of the AC for YEARS - but has not yet gotten there. For your trip, however, I do think Nice will be a prudent choice. It makes way more sense geographically/logistically. Like you mentioned, you have an easy train ride from Paris to Nice, and don't have to deal with flying. Minimizing travel time = more time enjoying your trip.

Also, there are lots of wonderful places to visit between Nice and Florence, including the *Ligurian* Coast, Lucca, etc., so maybe car for a portion (the roads are easy to drive there)? Then drop off once in Florence. Or, keep the car if you're exploring Tuscany.
    Last edited by ged; 02-11-2022 at 06:46 PM.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

AC over Nice for sure! Nice is fine, but I think you will find the atmosphere in the Amalfi Coast way more what you are looking for.

I have driven from Nice to Florence and as a PP says above, there are great coastal spots to stop along the way if you want to branch out, but if just choosing between the two spots, AC hands down IMO.

Default Nice or the Amalfi Coast?

I explored all of the towns along the way from Nice and ruled them out for various reasons, namely summer crowds though. I also really like the expansive view from AC (which I didn’t see quite the same in the region between Nice and Florence- I’m probably wrong but I had to whittle the world down somehow!) I promise, I really did research so, so much. But, if we do Nice, I’m sure we will putter on our way to Florence.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 02-11-2022 at 07:57 PM.

I've been to both and am a huge francophile (my honeymoon was 3 weeks in France) but the Amalfi Coast is much better for what you are looking for. We were in Italy for 3 weeks in 2019 and our whole family absolutely loved the AC. Even though it is a popular place in the summer, it still felt relaxing, especially after the "hard" touring of Venice, Florence and Rome.
    DD '06
    DD '14

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    AC over Nice for sure! Nice is fine, but I think you will find the atmosphere in the Amalfi Coast way more what you are looking for.

I have driven from Nice to Florence and as a PP says above, there are great coastal spots to stop along the way if you want to branch out, but if just choosing between the two spots, AC hands down IMO.
    Can you tell me why AC “hands down”? It’s how I’m leaning but would love a sales pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by vludmilla View Post
    I've been to both and am a huge francophile (my honeymoon was 3 weeks in France) but the Amalfi Coast is much better for what you are looking for. We were in Italy for 3 weeks in 2019 and our whole family absolutely loved the AC. Even though it is a popular place in the summer, it still felt relaxing, especially after the "hard" touring of Venice, Florence and Rome.
    Thanks! Do you have specific places or lodging?

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Thanks! Do you have specific places or lodging?

Well, we stayed in Sorrento, so not your chosen town. But we loved the place that we stayed. The host/owner was wonderful and it was well located for leisurely evening "passegiata" -- the Italians love an evening walk in town after dinner, it seems. We were only there maybe 3 nights, not sure it would have sustained us to be in just that town for a lot longer.

Maison Lauren
    https://www.maisonlauren.it/?locale=en_GB

She arranged a boat tour to Capri for us. We definitely really enjoyed the boat tour (great to see the AC from the water!) and we are essentially glad to have spent some time on Capri but wow, Capri was easily the most crowded place we were in Italy (and that says a lot given we hit all the major tourist spots).
    DD '06
    DD '14

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Can you tell me why AC “hands down”? It’s how I’m leaning but would love a sales pitch.

Nice itself just isn't as quaint or charming a locale IMO as the smaller towns dotting the hillsides along the Amalfi Coast. It's a bigger city with all the attendant issues -- the old town waterfront area is nice enough, but it sounds like you are looking for something that feels just a bit less crowded/commerical etc. But maybe I'm misinterpreting what you want - Nice is certainly vibrant and bustling. I wouldn't compare those AC towns to Nice in an apples to apples way. Near Nice for waterfront towns, my favorite is probably Cassis to the east which has a quaint and colorful port and the calanques to the east that you can hike to/boat to which feel more similar to the AC in landscape and activity options. The French Riviera from Nice to Monoco feels less authentic to me for some reason - more glam, built-up and over the top. I know the AC has plenty of flash, but somehow the Italian twist keeps it feeling more charming and authentic to me. It may just be that I prefer Italy to France in general (though I do like both).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast