Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It's 6 hours from SLC to West Yellowstone. It's 4 hours from SLC to St. George. (I am pretty sure it is 6-8 hours from SLC to Vegas) It will take you a looooong time to drive through the park. Lots of traffic, traffic stopped to see animals, road construction etc. Don't rely on google maps for calculating drive times in the park. Driving through the Tetons and Jackson is gorgeous. Almost all roads should be open in June. Unless they have a freak snowstorm.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    It's 6 hours from SLC to West Yellowstone. It's 4 hours from SLC to St. George. (I am pretty sure it is 6-8 hours from SLC to Vegas) It will take you a looooong time to drive through the park. Lots of traffic, traffic stopped to see animals, road construction etc. Don't rely on google maps for calculating drive times in the park. Driving through the Tetons and Jackson is gorgeous. Almost all roads should be open in June. Unless they have a freak snowstorm.
    Thanks for the perspective! How much time would you estimate from say Old Faithful area in Yellowstone through the Tetons to SLC? We tentatively booked downtown SLC hotel for that night. I've done the SLC to CA drive many times so that one I feel ok about.

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I know it would be a long day, but maybe after your 6th day you could spend the night in the Tetons and drive from there to SLC. If you do that, check out Signal Mountain Lodge which is in GTNP. They have rooms that sleep 6. You could leave Yellowstone through the south entrance and drive to Signal Mountain Lodge (~2 hours from West Thumb Geyser to Signal Mountain Lodge). It would be about 6 hour drive from there to SLC.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thanks for the perspective! How much time would you estimate from say Old Faithful area in Yellowstone through the Tetons to SLC? We tentatively booked downtown SLC hotel for that night. I've done the SLC to CA drive many times so that one I feel ok about.
    That's probably a good 8-9 hours. It's 6 to Jackson from SLC.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It sounds like a wonderful trip!

I second the thoughts about Lamar Valley - it's absolutely beautiful and a good chance to see wildlife, but it's most worthwhile if you can get there very early in the morning. You will likely have plenty of other chances to see wildlife in the park.

I have one other recommendation. Even after researching the heck out of everything about Yellowstone, I was still kind of overwhelmed with getting around in the park. We ended up buying an app called the Gypsy Guide (it was a few dollars, the only app I've bought other than Paprika, lol). It was incredibly helpful. It uses GPT to track where you are in the park and narrates for you - tells you about the upcoming stops, history and other facts about the park. I found it really helpful to refresh my memory about each area of the park, plus the kids were open to listening to the narrator, whereas they would NOT have listened if I was reading it aloud.
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gobadgers View Post
    It sounds like a wonderful trip!

I second the thoughts about Lamar Valley - it's absolutely beautiful and a good chance to see wildlife, but it's most worthwhile if you can get there very early in the morning. You will likely have plenty of other chances to see wildlife in the park.

I have one other recommendation. Even after researching the heck out of everything about Yellowstone, I was still kind of overwhelmed with getting around in the park. We ended up buying an app called the Gypsy Guide (it was a few dollars, the only app I've bought other than Paprika, lol). It was incredibly helpful. It uses GPT to track where you are in the park and narrates for you - tells you about the upcoming stops, history and other facts about the park. I found it really helpful to refresh my memory about each area of the park, plus the kids were open to listening to the narrator, whereas they would NOT have listened if I was reading it aloud.
    Great advice re audio guide. We did one too and it was great. Plugged it into the car stereo and it would detect where you are and give you narrations about the place. I don’t remember if Gypsy was the one we used but I highly recommend something like that. We did a Grand Tetons one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Great advice re audio guide. We did one too and it was great. Plugged it into the car stereo and it would detect where you are and give you narrations about the place. I don’t remember if Gypsy was the one we used but I highly recommend something like that. We did a Grand Tetons one too.

This sounds great! do they have guides for other places too?
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    This sounds great! do they have guides for other places too?
    The one we used, Gypsy Guide, does have a bunch of places! I think their prices must have gone up, but we got at least $10 of value from the guide when we visited Yellowstone.

GPS Narrated Audio Driving Tour Apps | GyPSy Guide
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you want to stay in Jackson Hole cheaply, look at The Virginian. They have a bunk room for 8. We haven’t stayed there but met someone who works there, and we thought it would be fine for a night or two. The restaurant next door was tasty, and the food occupied us for much of the drive back to SLC.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    If you want to stay in Jackson Hole cheaply, look at The Virginian. They have a bunk room for 8. We haven’t stayed there but met someone who works there, and we thought it would be fine for a night or two. The restaurant next door was tasty, and the food occupied us for much of the drive back to SLC.

The Virginian is the place I recommend in Jackson. We stayed in a family suite there. It's just fine for what is needed. And some good restaurants nearby,
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast