niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default AITA here? Yankee swap for kids

So playgroup we went to when DS was a toddler still meets for Christmas potluck. We see each other outside of this, some of us get together more often than others. There’s 12 kids aged 11-17 with range of interests. Usually we draw names and you get the kid you drew a gift, you check in with their mom to make sure it’s something they would like.The moms do a yankee gifts swap and it’s supposed to be a nice gift. One mom keeps giving gag things like a snuggly, I got that own year and ha ha wasn’t funny as it’s supposed to be a nice gift. Ok laugh and donate. I try to see what gift bag she brings and not choose it.

Well this same mom wants to do a yankee gift swap for the kids. I don’t get how that will work as one of the kids will get something of no use or interest to them. While that’s part of the game for adults, and I think the older kids would get it, I’m not sure about the younger kids. Yes they can trade, but one of the kids may still get stuck with something that’s useless so no gift for them. I told the group I don’t think this is a great idea and I would rather do our regular drawing of names. So far there’s silence on the group chat. I did miss all the back and forth texts about this on Friday as I was slammed at work, so maybe I’m out of line to raise it now, but I didn’t see other moms agreeing or disagreeing with the yankee swap idea when it was raised

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

First, I think it is so awesome that your toddler playgroup still gets together. Second, I agree with you that drawing a specific name helps alleviate unwanted gifts. I can't imagine an 11 year old girl wanting anything remotely near the same thing as a 17 year old boy. I'd probably go for an Amazon or Target gift card if it goes this direction.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    First, I think it is so awesome that your toddler playgroup still gets together. Second, I agree with you that drawing a specific name helps alleviate unwanted gifts. I can't imagine an 11 year old girl wanting anything remotely near the same thing as a 17 year old boy. I'd probably go for an Amazon or Target gift card if it goes this direction.
    So after some discussion, it’s a gift card with something like bag of takis chips or packs of gum, or a silly toy. The yankee swap poster also wanted no gift cards and that was shot down. All the older kids want to buy their own things

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    So after some discussion, it’s a gift card with something like bag of takis chips or packs of gum, or a silly toy. The yankee swap poster also wanted no gift cards and that was shot down. All the older kids want to buy their own things

Sounds like a good compromise. My kids fit into that age group and they would not like just some random gift, but a gift card, they would enjoy.