Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This happened to my daughter all the time and she was a swimmer. It was so bad we had to cut out a few tangles that were impossible. She finally cut it bob length and learned to use conditioner properly and never had any more problems.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    This happened to my daughter all the time and she was a swimmer. ....
    It was actually 1000 times easier when she was taking swim lessons because the pool required everyone to wear a cap, so I bought her a decent silicone one & put her hair up because that made putting the cap on much easier. (Of course, we kept her hair shorter then, too.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I still hate that it's long, but we did the deep-conditioning thing last night after Thanksgiving dinner, braided it overnight, and put it half-up for the annual cousins photoshoot today.

The deep-conditioner has basically bought us some time because it smoothed the split ends temporarily.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I still hate that it's long, but we did the deep-conditioning thing last night after Thanksgiving dinner, braided it overnight, and put it half-up for the annual cousins photoshoot today.

The deep-conditioner has basically bought us some time because it smoothed the split ends temporarily.
    How did she like it braided and half up today? I imagine that it looked pretty cute. Hopefully hearing how
    cute it looks will motivate her to maintain it.

Letting me braid it at night (or the morning before school) was the price my dd had to pay to have long hair until she learned how to braid it herself. At about age 12 she started taking good care of it herself and I didn't braid it for school or sleeping anymore. Now that she does it herself though, she keeps it much shorter. It’s just easier and she gets more compliments.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    Out of curiosity, if her hair is such a pain to deal with and her hair requires a huge bottle of detangler, I don't understand why she would keep
    it that long. Why not cut it?
    Oh I didnt use the whole bottle at once, I used it over time because she lets it get so matted before I either notice or she says something that nothing but this specialty dog stuff gets them out. She LOVES her long hair. Its part of how people know her. Oh, "M - the girl with the super long hair." I keep threatening to cut it, but she'd probably be scarred for life
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

DD’s hair is long but not curly. However her hair used to tangle quite a bit at night. I bought her satin pillowcases and it has helped so much! You might give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    ... I bought her satin pillowcases and it has helped so much! You might give it a try.
    I have one on her wish list based on a tip from a friend!
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    How did she like it braided and half up today? I imagine that it looked pretty cute. Hopefully hearing how
    cute it looks will motivate her to maintain it.
    She whined while I put it half up, but I insisted because otherwise, she'd have hidden behind her hair in the photos. She tolerates it braided as long as I only do one long braid down her back rather than two. (She insists two braids are "for babies.")

Letting me braid it at night (or the morning before school) was the price my dd had to pay to have long hair until she learned how to braid it herself. At about age 12 she started taking good care of it herself and I didn't braid it for school or sleeping anymore. Now that she does it herself though, she keeps it much shorter. It’s just easier and she gets more compliments.
    She's starting to learn how to do her own hair, but it's roughly waist-length, wavy, and thick, so it's very challenging to care for - even for me, and I'm the adult in the room! - but she's lackadaisical when it comes to consistently caring for her hair solo. She doesn't yet know how to braid it, which is frustrating, and DH won't back me up on requiring nightly maintenance (insert eyeroll here), so it often goes weeks without real attention and we're back where we started: I threaten to cut it myself or shave it all off and start over. (I am not proud of that, but I say mean things when I am frustrated. I need to learn better ways of expressing frustration.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Its very difficult to care for waist length hair. Perhaps you could set aside 1 - 2 days a week where you sit together and watch a show while you brush her hair? Maybe she starts and you finish?
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4