Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

In sixth grade here they offer a elective “wheel” where you take different classes every ten weeks to explore what you want to take in the future - art, cooking, music/choir, beginning band, computer lab etc. You can also just immediately start with band in 6th. Choir is a big thing our district so many choose that for seventh and eighth grade. My DD is currently in choir and they’ve got tons of performances (including a trip to Washington DC) competitions and a Disneyland performance.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    am curious, what is the music requirement for 6th graders in your school district?...
    There's a statewide standard that children in elementary school (K-5) learn the basics of music and visual arts, and a vague standard that students begin to specialize starting in 6th grade so that they may develop a greater competency to communicate in their chosen art form by 8th grade. Requirements, such as minimum credits required for graduation, only begin in high school.

DD wanted more than anything to sign up for Band, but DH never authorized renting an instrument (which, in a pandemic, feels really risky to us) or committing her to in-school band classes & instruction. She wants to play flute. (I want earplugs.)

Students who want to do music performance in middle school have to choose either band or chorus; they cannot select both. (Personally, I think this is unfair to students who are adept in both instrumental & vocal performance.) I've tried to encourage chorus, thinking that the increased attention to diction & articulation will help DD progress in spontaneous speech, as well as in the therapy room, but I am biased - I've been a chorister in some way, shape, or form since I was 14 years old. It's brought me opportunities, such as the chance to perform as a "hired ringer" at Carnegie Hall three times as an adult, and joy in many phases of my life.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

In our public school district, all kids take general music through grade 6 and after that it is an elective. Additional music choices start in 4th grade with optional strings instrumental lessons/orchestra and expanding to band options in 5th. Chorale is an option in the activities period starting in 5th and then as an elective in the schedule starting in 7th. Studio music is also an option starting in 8th which is a double period class. In high school, I think students are required to have 1 credit of music/art for graduation and there are tons of music options that meet that. Many students that are into music take multiple music electives throughout high school plus participate in extra curricular music.

Of my 2 kids that are old enough, both tried instrumental music for 1-2 years, but it wasn't their thing. I was really glad they had that experience and option to try it through school. Both my kids gravitate more towards athletics for extracurricular activities and art/tech stuff for electives. Our school district has SO many music options (which I think is great!)...but I wish they had more in the other areas to match that.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post

DD wanted more than anything to sign up for Band, but DH never authorized renting an instrument (which, in a pandemic, feels really risky to us) or committing her to in-school band classes & instruction. She wants to play flute. (I want earplugs.)
    fwiw, the kids in band wear a special instrument mask and there is some sort of a sock that goes on the end of the instrument... for whenever they play inside. many of their lessons continue to be outside for safety. String instruments definitely feels safer but dd2 was adamant she wanted to do both. She even got a free loaner flute from the school as a rental isnt in our budget.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Other end of the metroplex here and no music requirement in 6th grade. Music classes start in 6th grade but there's no requirement.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    fwiw, the kids in band wear a special instrument mask and there is some sort of a sock that goes on the end of the instrument... for whenever they play inside. many of their lessons continue to be outside for safety. String instruments definitely feels safer but dd2 was adamant she wanted to do both. She even got a free loaner flute from the school as a rental isnt in our budget.
    I know what they're doing to reduce transmission w/r/t instrument "masks" and I'm OK with it, especially if it means they get to have band at all. As a chorister, I know that there are chorus masks available, which have construction features that make it easier to sing while still masking up. I'd consider purchasing some for myself, but I don't know that I'll be singing any time soon.

What wigs us out is borrowed or rented equipment of any type, in a pandemic, for our child who has a heart defect and who was not eligible for the vaccine until 3rd November.

We simply cannot trust that loaned or rented instruments have been sanitized in such a way that makes us comfortable. Our risk calculus differs from many families', plus DH is severely germ-phobic, so trying to get through that and still sign her up in time was impossible.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our district offered either Chorus or Band or Study Hall when the kids went to Jr. High. In elementary school they had Music class 2/3 x week, while still at elementary school they offered 5th graders Band, they bussed the kids to the Jr. High at the end of the elementary day (there was still time left in the Jr. High day).

Neither of my kids have any interest in music so they both chose Study Hall in Jr. High.

Music is a required special in the elementary grades - K-5. Starting in 6th, it becomes an elective. Students can choose band or chorus in middle schools as an elective. In most district non-magnet middle schools, students only choose one elective per semester since PE/health is required all year. Band runs all year so no other electives are possible for those students. It would be great if all students could have more exposure to music.

Our younger two choose between band and chorus/drama starting in 5th grade at their private school. DS is in 7th this year and has no music for the first time since he's not in band. DD chose the music/chorus/drama path so no instruments for us. She is learning to read music and will learn a simple song on the piano by the end of the year. As a mom who formally played the piano and violin until I left for college, it makes me slightly sad no one chose band but we let them all choose for themselves.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    What wigs us out is borrowed or rented equipment of any type, in a pandemic, for our child who has a heart defect and who was not eligible for the vaccine until 3rd November.

We simply cannot trust that loaned or rented instruments have been sanitized in such a way that makes us comfortable. Our risk calculus differs from many families', plus DH is severely germ-phobic, so trying to get through that and still sign her up in time was impossible.
    Just in case anyone else is worried about this... We know that transmission via surfaces is very rare, mainly due to the limited lifespan of the virus on surfaces (99% gone in 3 days). If this is a concern, it would be really simple to just let the instrument sit for a week before using it.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No specific music requirement here in NC that I know of. DD1 has been in band & chorus since 6th grade. DS took a semester long music class in 8th grade that was *sort of* chorus but didn't have any concert requirements as part of the "So you haven't chosen a specialty" specials classes.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast