Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Isn’t the Moderna booster a smaller dose than the Pfizer one? I’ve heard from friends that their Moderna reaction to the booster was minimal but ones who got Pfizer had reactions more like they did to the initial shot. Any merit to that line of thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    If I remember correctly, the Moderna booster is smaller than the other moderna doses, but slightly bigger than the Pfizer booster. (I think 15 mcg vs. 10?--I could be wrong though.) (I looked it up and the CDC just says it's half the dose of the first two doses, for both vaccines.) The tricky thing is that the data on the Moderna booster efficacy comparing it to Pfizer was with the larger dose (not sure if it was the full dose or what in the data.) So moderna might not be as much better than Pfizer as thought by the data, basically.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Moderna's initial full strength vaccine is 100mcg. Their booster is 50mcg, so half. All Pfizer doses, both initial and booster, are 30mcg.

I had a sore arm after both my first 2 Pfizer shots, but that was it. My Pfizer booster knocked me out for a day, with fever, chills, headache, body aches, and sore arm. I was really surprised by that, since I didn't have much of a reaction after my initial series. DH, who received Moderna for his initial series and booster, experienced nothing more than a sore arm all 3 times.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had Moderna primary and a third dose (full dose, not booster) of Moderna. I had about 24 hours of headache and fatigue, but nothing awful.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No boosters for my family. I had such a severe reaction from my Pfizer vaccine, my doctor does not want me getting a booster. I had a high fever for 3 days, then started with heart palpitations and severe vertigo lasting for nearly a week. I couldn’t get out of bed, much less function. I honestly feared I was never going to get better. My 12 yr old had a 103 fever for almost a week after his second dose and had to miss a week of school. It was rough.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had my booster on November 10th; at the time, I fell into a high-risk category (I have asthma) so I scheduled mine with the Dep't of Health staff member who phoned. I had Pfizer for my initial series, but the clinic gave me Moderna for my booster. (Mixing mRNA vaccines doesn't seem to have any disadvantages; the only thing I'd have had to be cautious about was receiving a viral vector booster vs receiving an mRNA booster following an mRNA initial series.)

EDIT: I had swollen lymph nodes on the injection side (expected; had them with 2nd dose in initial series), and spent the day after the booster feeling lightheaded & a bit woozy. I went to bed early & was fine the 2nd day out, but the booster really kicked my butt that 1st day!
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 11-28-2021 at 04:02 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No. I’m considered to have super immunity so won’t contemplate it til the winter of 2022. My bro, front line covid health care worker, just got his booster last Wednesday. He had no reactions to earlier doses. He was so sick, missed thanksgiving dinner. Bedridden for two days. He literally couldn’t believe the reaction he had.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, both DH and I got it. Neither of us had symptoms except maybe psychosomatic to any of our cumulative 6 doses (Pfizer). Kids are getting their second dose today. My brother and SIL had slight symptoms (12 hours of 100 fever) to their Moderna boosters. My mom had a slight fever/chills to Pfizer #2, but nothing to Pfizer #3, and my dad had nothing to 3 doses of Moderna.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Dd and I have both been boosted: all three doses were Moderna. For dose number 2, we both got fevers and felt crappy that evening into the next day and we're then fine. For the booster, we both felt "off" that day but no fever and no specific symptoms. Woke up fine the next day.

ETA:. We did have sore arms with all three doses.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I definitely felt crappy the day after I had the moderna booster. Not awful enough to call in sick but I did go to bed super early. We were talking about it on Thanksgiving and my friend's sil who is a nurse was telling us that she felt horrible for days after her pfizer booster. She said she felt so awful she felt like she was dying. She said she'd never get another booster.

DH hasnt gotten his and I'm not that hopeful I can force the issue.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yup had my Pfizer about a month or so ago. Most of my coworkers and residents had their Pfizer booster about 2 weeks ago, most were just fine. Honestly, I read about more people on this board having side effects than I do IRL. If any, only one or two with mild and fleeting flu like symptoms (like for 8-12 hrs).

DD who is 18 had hers and her university is holding booster clinics along with regular flu shot clinics all over campus (U of Illinois).

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast