Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

FIL is visiting for thanksgiving and had a bad cold that started Thursday night. He went to the walk in clinic for Covid/flu tests on Friday and stayed in the guest bedroom Friday and Saturday except to grab a cup of coffee and use the bathroom. His tests were negative and he felt much better yesterday so he hung out with our family but still skipped going to my parents house for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well…my middle son (Freshman in HS and fully vaccinated) had cold symptoms for 24 hours back in September and I did what his school requires of vaccinated students. Kept him home until symptom free for 24 hours. Kept him away from his grandparents. But in retrospect…my 10 year old had the exact same thing a week later. 24 hours of a low fever (100.5) and congestion. His school requires a doctor’s OK to return so he had a test the morning he was going to go back and it was positive. So. I may have sent my 14 year old to school positive for Covid (thankfully a highly vaccinated, mask required school with super low numbers). I would likely at least do a home test now. After my 10 year old had Covid (he was fine…spent his quarantine playing video games and shooting hockey pucks in the driveway feeling totally fine) I tested myself for every little thing (allergy season still) until my time was up (always negative).
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We live in the CA Bay Area. Dh and I recently had a cold. We knew 99% what it was as I was around a little kid who had a cold- she had a negative pcr test. Still, we both did a Binax now when we were symptomatic (I just ordered more from Walmart, $14 for two -keep checking!). Dh had to work from home.
    Also, we had a family over for thanksgiving (one of them only half vaxed- they both did pcr tests) and we ate outside and wore masks indoors.. because nobody wants a cold, especially right now when it can restrict what you do! Dd works in person sometimes and can’t afford to miss work, so dh wore a mask indoors for the first few days of break so she wouldn’t get it! We also did major hand washing. I was over it by the time dd came home.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I'm curious how everyone is handling cold and/or flu symptoms these days? Are you getting a PCR for every incidence? Or doing a home rapid test? What do you think is appropriate? ...
    We only PCR-test if DD is dismissed from school by the nurse with any suspicion of symptoms; she'll occasionally present with a higher temp (99F) if she's dehydrated (which happens frequently because she refuses water) or if she hasn't gotten enough sleep, but if she's not acting ill, we don't keep her home, same as we would in a "normal" year.

Masks are mandatory for everyone in the school building, students & teachers, regardless of vaccination status, so we're relatively confident that overall transmission rates are low among the members of the school population. (I haven't checked community rates.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We've had two illnesses in the last few months and have tested at home both times. DS1 had the flu. I tested him three times at home, but it was clear something was not right with his lungs so we went in. Covid was negative, flu was positive. We've had a cold going through the house that is just congestion followed by a cough from a tickling throat once the drainage starts. I've tested all of us with the Binax tests as soon as we get symptoms and again 3-5 days later just to be sure. We've all been negative, but I feel much better after testing that I'm not spreading covid germs.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

DS (9) has had 3 colds this fall already (ugh). Each time, he has had to get a pcr test and wait for results to come to school - so 2-3 days out on average. DD (16) is vaccinated, so her school only requires that they stay home until fever free/well enough to come to school. She has missed a couple of days too but at least not waiting around on tests. I have home tested ds a couple of times only for my own peace of mind- home test is not enough to return to school. I am sure many parents aren't following these guidelines - it is a pain.

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    We live in the CA Bay Area. Dh and I recently had a cold. We knew 99% what it was as I was around a little kid who had a cold- she had a negative pcr test. Still, we both did a Binax now when we were symptomatic (I just ordered more from Walmart, $14 for two -keep checking!). Dh had to work from home.
    Also, we had a family over for thanksgiving (one of them only half vaxed- they both did pcr tests) and we ate outside and wore masks indoors.. because nobody wants a cold, especially right now when it can restrict what you do! Dd works in person sometimes and can’t afford to miss work, so dh wore a mask indoors for the first few days of break so she wouldn’t get it! We also did major hand washing. I was over it by the time dd came home.
    Thank you for mentioning Walmart, I just checked and they had them in stock for $14 with 2-day shipping, so I just ordered a bunch to have on hand! With 2 kids in school and cold/flu season upon us, I will feel better having these to double check.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just a heads up on the Binax from Walmart. The ones we got had a very short expiration date. So keep an eye on that.

I have allergies, so more days than not I have some combination of runny nose/congestion/sinus congestion/slight headache/post nasal drip, etc. I've never tested myself. And maybe two or three weeks ago, DS had a slightly runny nose, so I threw some tissues in his backpack and reminded him to blow his nose if he needed to. I honestly never thought to test him or keep him home from school. I think it lasted two days.

I have two boxes of Binax tests. He was on quarantine for exposure in late September, and I had a PCR scheduled for the next day but I was going to do the home test as well. I remember the instructions sounded complicated, so I put everything back in the box. In my defense, it was late at night and my brain was tired.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 11-29-2021 at 01:17 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I have two boxes of Binax tests. He was on quarantine for exposure in late September, and I had a PCR scheduled for the next day but I was going to do the home test as well. I remember the instructions sounded complicated, so I put everything back in the box. In my defense, it was late at night and my brain was tired.
    We just used one over the weekend (negative) - the instructions make it sound so much harder than it is!
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast