Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Random Task Accomplishment and Support Thread - 2021-22 School Year

With schools back in session and offices developing some kind of return-to-in-person plan in many areas, it might be that time again to post about random household tasks you've accomplished and/or need support to feel great that you've done.

My current outdoor accomplishments are weeding the flower beds, laying down 12 bags of mulch, and planting spring-blooming bulbs.

My indoor accomplishment is cleaning most of the master bathroom, which I haven't done in I don't know how long because we're planning a bathroom reno for the "guest" bath that DD and I use. There is a mold problem as a result of a rotted subfloor problem, so we're going to rip everything out, ameliorate the mold, and install new stuff, which basically means the 3 of us will be using one shower for a month or three.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've been telling myself since school started that I am going to get the house whipped into shape and so far I'm proceeding at a snail's pace. I have managed to do a deep clean and declutter on DD's room (she's a college freshman so I had her do her version of it before she left and then after she was gone I came in and did my version of it - LOL) and last week I went through my boys' closets and bagged up seven bags of donations and moved hand me downs from DS1 to DS2's room. I need to get back into their rooms and do a non-clothing declutter and clean next. And then my bathroom drawers and cabinets are next. I really want to have the whole house decluttered and up to snuff by Thanksgiving. Time is ticking!

I got rid of 4 bins plus 3 suitcases worth of stuff last week at a semi-annual kids consignment sale. I just wanted it out of the house so I priced it really low and donated everything that didn't get sold (they donate to a local group that gives stuff to foster kids). I got a few hundred dollars from it, but getting rid of it and knowing it isn't just in a landfill somewhere was more important.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks Lizzy! - I'm going to list my goals and mark off as I get them done.

basement storage
    garage
    shed
    bike tune ups
    hall closet
    basement kitchen
    basement storage
    upstairs landing

Y'all are doing better than you think and I'm proud of you for your accomplishments. This thread isn't about speed; it's about feeling like you did something.

I find it's helpful, especially when I am back on my bullsh!t or when I'm overwhelmed by feelings of inadequacy (like I am right now), to write down what I've completed. Looking back on the list reminds me that I've actually put a lot of work into whatever project I'm doing, and I can point to that whenever I'm feeling like "nothing" got done.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our local synagogues are collecting clothing for Afghan refugees. I hit our closets with a vengeance last night. Anything I hadn’t washed in recent memory from my kids closet got pulled. I asked them to look through the piles I pulled and ask themselves if the clothes would be better hung in their closets waiting to be worn or donated to kids starting over. I then headed to my closet and pulled out all the clothes I had been keeping in case I wanted them. We gathered eight trash bags to donate!! Feels so good to have less clothes in our closets and to know it’s going to people in need.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

1. posting kids fall/winter stuff on FB/deciding what to donate
    2. taking things to a consignment shop
    3. make a neighborhood free pile DONE
    4. move DD's old wardrobe/armoire to playroom DONE
    5. reduce/list costumes and costume holding furniture
    6. reset kids' closets/purge
    7. check winter gear for sizing/fit
    8. list old snow skis on FB
    9. label ikea shoe boxes in shoe closet
    10. find a home for music books and Kindermusik items
    11. create a master list of toys to sell
    12. create a schedule to follow to sell those toys
    13. make a list of lego sets to build/sell

I like the idea of posting one thing a day on Marketplace!
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 10-20-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Yesterday I sorted through both boy's clothing, pulling out the items that don't fit or never get worn. I vowed that no one is to buy DS2 any new clothing for the foreseeable future. He wears a uniform to school and yet has more clothes than anyone else in the house. Some are hand-me-downs from DS1 but honestly, most were bought by me because this kid loves clothes and shows such appreciation for everything. Sometime next week I need to do DD's closet but that's going to be one huge undertaking.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Our local synagogues are collecting clothing for Afghan refugees....
    The local mosque (there's one 5 minutes from my home) as well as a number of community support organizations were collecting here at the beginning of September - I live about 40 minutes from Ft Dix, where one of the early waves was headed just after everything went to Hades - and people were generous, especially with baby diapers and other immediate-need items.

They weren't accepting used clothing, though, which just meant my niece got a lot of hand-me-downs the last time we saw her.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

This thread has given me a push to do some projects around the house I've been putting off. Today I did a complete cleaning of my half of the garage. DH considers the garage his domain but he keeps everything, because he "might need it sometime". It drives me bonkers so I told him I'd stay away from his side. I took everything out of mine, scrubbed down the shelving units, reorganized the kids' sports equipment, got rid of all the spider webs and ended with piles for trash and donation. I'll enjoy my work every time I pull into the garage.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast