chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Organizing help needed? How do you do it?

I am involved in a number of volunteer activities. For others in the same boat, how do you organize the materials from each activity? I need to have them in a central place but be able to access just the materials from one particular activity at a time. I'd love for it to be compact. Any ideas?

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    I am involved in a number of volunteer activities. For others in the same boat, how do you organize the materials from each activity? I need to have them in a central place but be able to access just the materials from one particular activity at a time. I'd love for it to be compact. Any ideas?
    I use a bookshelf and a few banker's boxes to organize my Girl Scout stuff - if things are in use for the current year/activity, they go on the bookshelf; general supplies that I don't need all the time go in a banker's box on my landing; and cookie program (booths, etc.) in a banker's box in a seldom-used closet.

HOWEVER, in your situation, would a rolling cart with wheels be helpful?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Always evolving and varied based on how much stuff each activity has. For example, the ones I have been doing the longest and have accumulated the most for have small bins (either plastic or canvas) that I store in my office closet. Like this https://www.target.com/p/large-fabri...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought one of these on a whim one year and I would love to have one per activity. As it is now, I sub in the actively needed stuff for the current project and just keep it around (and leave the longer term storage bins in my office). https://www.mythirtyone.com/us/en/pr...oal-crosshatch
    I keep office supplies in the front pockets, which always come in handy. I can easily slip that file box into a bag to take on the go and everything stays organized.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Color coded slash or Velcro pockets. One color for each activity. Green - food bank, yellow - school, red - library, etc. The Velcro pockets are sold individually in store.

https://www.staples.com/Avery-Slash-...product_486148

https://www.staples.com/JAM-Paper-Pl...roduct_2632964

Drop them all in a multipurpose bin from Container Store.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My organization method is not sexy. There is a set of shelves in my office I emptied to keep my craft supplies organized. I've tried various containers, but none of them have worked as well as keeping stuff sorted in paper grocery bags with handles. They are tall and can maximize the full space on the shelves. I can write on them various notes about what they contain. They are light and sturdy enough to hold their shape when standing empty. Also- cheap! and easy to replace.

I keep thinking about what type of container would work better and look nicer than paper grocery bags but these just work well for me. The office doesn't look fantastic with those on the shelves so i just keep the door closed and don't think about how they look.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.