JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What to ask new property mgt company that manges my office for/lease renewal

I am a private practice therapist and rent a small office; I am not using the office and am doing telehealth at home, but want to keep the office as the rent has been affordable, I love the location,and I feel I will go back to the office eventually. Anyway, there are some other reasons as well, but the main point is that I want to keep renting the office. My (former)landlord sold the building a couple a months ago and I was assured that the new landlord would keep everything the same and would not make any major changes. I wasn't too worried either way, as I figured find a new office as I would have time.

Turns out a property mgt company is managing the building; I do not know if they are the owners as I make my check out to another company that may or may not be them.

My lease ends 12/31. I had contacted them last month and told them I want to renew and reminded them of the lease date. I heard back that they would pass that info on, but nothing since then. I need to contact them and ask for new lease. The concern is that my colleague in the buidling told me that his lease is for 2 years; I really only want one year as everything is so uncertain right now. If I wanted to rent for 2 years, I would have wanted a different type of office (long story, details unnecessary). OTOH, moving now would be problematic as I need to hire a moving company as there is something in there that is hard to move and it will be hard to find one at this time of the year and also there are some other processes I will need to put in place that would take a couple of months.

All of this to say, I plan to contact the property mgt company again and ask for a lease...but do I say that i want to maintain one year or wait until they produce lease? If they do not produce lease, what do I do? I have never had to deal with a property mgt company and the ones here do not have good reputations (although I have not heard about this particular company) so that is some of the reason for my concern. Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    I am a private practice therapist and rent a small office; I am not using the office and am doing telehealth at home, but want to keep the office as the rent has been affordable, I love the location,and I feel I will go back to the office eventually. Anyway, there are some other reasons as well, but the main point is that I want to keep renting the office. My (former)landlord sold the building a couple a months ago and I was assured that the new landlord would keep everything the same and would not make any major changes. I wasn't too worried either way, as I figured find a new office as I would have time.

Turns out a property mgt company is managing the building; I do not know if they are the owners as I make my check out to another company that may or may not be them.

My lease ends 12/31. I had contacted them last month and told them I want to renew and reminded them of the lease date. I heard back that they would pass that info on, but nothing since then. I need to contact them and ask for new lease. The concern is that my colleague in the buidling told me that his lease is for 2 years; I really only want one year as everything is so uncertain right now. If I wanted to rent for 2 years, I would have wanted a different type of office (long story, details unnecessary). OTOH, moving now would be problematic as I need to hire a moving company as there is something in there that is hard to move and it will be hard to find one at this time of the year and also there are some other processes I will need to put in place that would take a couple of months.

All of this to say, I plan to contact the property mgt company again and ask for a lease...but do I say that i want to maintain one year or wait until they produce lease? If they do not produce lease, what do I do? I have never had to deal with a property mgt company and the ones here do not have good reputations (although I have not heard about this particular company) so that is some of the reason for my concern. Thanks!
    It sounds like time is of the essence here. If i were you, I'd attempt to contact the management company asap. Definitely email them if you have their email address (that way your conversation is documented) but leave voice mails too to get their attention. Remind them that your lease will soon be up and you'd like to sign a new lease for a year. Let them know that you need a reply back asap so that you can make other plans if a one-year lease isn't possible. Keep in mind, the rate may have gone up. If it hasn't yet, it may go up after a year.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 11-30-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thank you, gatorsmom! That makes sense.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Is there anything in your lease that rolls it into a month to month lease, if the management company doesn't formally tell you it's time to move out?

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Is there anything in your lease that rolls it into a month to month lease, if the management company doesn't formally tell you it's time to move out?

No, nothing. Its weird...but my guess is that its just falling off their radar. I have a colleague in the building whose lease is not up, but has also not heard from them about something unrelated he emailed them about.

I would love month to month, even if slightly more...but really dont want more than a year...that is part of why I am not sure how to word my email. I hate the idea of trying to move out in December...but dont want to be stuck for 2 years either..there is language about a max of how much they can raise the rent, but I have no idea if they have to abide by that since they were not the signers of the original lease (former landlord was)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Remember, too, that if you go month-to-month, they only have to give you a brief notice to move out - generally thirty days. Could you move out in that time frame if needed?

Thank you everyone for the advice. I contacted them and was able to renew the lease for one year with only a very slight increase (the percentage of which was written into the lease that is ending). It looks like they may be giving themself more leeway to raise for the following year, which I am okay with as I will be seriously looking at many other options by that time. Thanks again!