Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Urgent. Do I (Can I?) intervene with doctor for my mom?

I posted about my mom before and perhaps some of you remember. My mom is still exhibiting some signs of paranoia and cognitive deficiency 7 days post surgery. Today she has a follow up meeting with her surgeon and she's extremely irrational about how she describes her stay in the hospital. I feel like I'd like to give the surgeon a heads up on her cognitive condition--that it might make a difference in how she approaches the meeting. It might even prepare the surgeon to dispel some of the misunderstandings she has about what went on during her stay?

Is this possible? Is it possible that's she's already prepared for dealing with older patients that have cognitive issues post surgery? My prior post had answers that seem to indicate that they are not at all uncommon! I want to smooth this experience for my mom. We're acquaintances with the COO and CEO of the hospital and she keeps threatening to involve them. I think that will only probably embarrass her later. Or maybe she'll never be quick enough to recognize that she's done something embarrassing... I just feel bad for her and want to protect her! My dad will be with her. He's a champ. She's acting SO mean to him. I hope this does not portend what is to come for them in the future. In the meantime, the meeting is in 4 hours and I wonder if there is anything I can do to make this appointment more successful?

Thank you in advance!

yes, I would and as a healthcare worker I'd appreciate a heads up! And yes it tends to put us on the defensive if someone comes in and is threatening to go to the CEO... I'd just call the office and let them know. Meds can often be problematic in the elderly so they may need to adjust any pain meds to help and/or check for infection. These may be easier said before the appointment than while she is there...
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes. Advocate as much as possible any avenues you have.
    K

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agree with recs above. I am sure the doctor has seen this before.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would call and let the office know your concerns and your thoughts. HOWEVER, due to HIPPA, they may not be able to respond to you or even confirm that your mom is a patient of theirs. They can however, listen and take down information, inform the doctor, ect.

Thanks all. I don't have the doctors information and I have to try and get it from my dad, somewhat discreetly. I'm going to try and get it, call the office and see what seeds I can plant to help them have the information to be able to help her out!

Got the info to the doctor's office. I've officially "meddled" and I don't think my mom would like to hear that but it is for her benefit. She really trusted the surgeon prior to the surgery so hopefully she'll regain some of that trust!

Oh my gosh! Thanks for encouraging me to call. The surgeon was fantastic with my mom and she is VERY relieved! I don’t know if my advance warning helped but whatever she did it made a HUGE difference to my mom who is seeing the hospital experience entirely differently!

She’s also taking her off the opioid she’s on and she said my mom should feel differently!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Oh my gosh! Thanks for encouraging me to call. The surgeon was fantastic with my mom and she is VERY relieved! I don’t know if my advance warning helped but whatever she did it made a HUGE difference to my mom who is seeing the hospital experience entirely differently!

She’s also taking her off the opioid she’s on and she said my mom should feel differently!
    That is a great update, I am so glad you called!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post

Im really relieved to see your update. That whole experience must have been very scary for your mom and your whole family.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 11-30-2021 at 09:30 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast