Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Booster now or see if vaccines updated?

I have read that both Moderna and Pfizer are looking into updating their vaccines for the Omicron variant. I have seen anywhere from 60 -100 days for the update, if it gone ahead with. Is it worth it to wait and see how prevalent this variant is and if vaccines get updated? I don't really want to get a booster that is far less potent if a new one is coming out in 3 months. Moderna CEO is saying their current vaccine could be 8x less effective against Omicron. Thoughts?
    Last edited by flashy09; 11-29-2021 at 06:12 PM.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Got mine as soon as I could. By the time the new vaccines are developed it might be time for another booster in any case.

for Sandy Hook

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    I have read that both Moderna and Pfizer are looking into updating their vaccines for the Omicron variant. I have seen anywhere from 60 -100 days for the update, if it gone ahead with. Is it worth it to wait and see how prevalent this variant is and if vaccines get updated? I don't really want to get a booster that is far less potent if a new one is coming out in 3 months. Moderna CEO is saying their current vaccine could be 8x less effective against Omicron. Thoughts?
    Last I saw, Fauci was saying they won't know for a few more weeks about efficacy of current vaccines against Omicron or if Omicron is more contagious/infection or more dangerous than Delta. I know they are hoping to test a bunch of the Americans who just flew out of S.Africa this weekend.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Last I saw, Fauci was saying they won't know for a few more weeks about efficacy of current vaccines against Omicron or if Omicron is more contagious/infection or more dangerous than Delta. I know they are hoping to test a bunch of the Americans who just flew out of S.Africa this weekend.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/28/mode...arly-2022.html

This sort of article is what I am referring to. I just can't figure out whether to wait a bit and see if modifications are made or just get the current booster!
    Last edited by flashy09; 11-29-2021 at 09:25 PM.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OP I’m in the same boat…
    K

I would get it now. I suspect by the time a new version is widely available they will have decided it is time for another round of boosters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Got mine as soon as I could. By the time the new vaccines are developed it might be time for another booster in any case.
    Me too. Got mine last month as did dh. So glad to have gotten it. I would not wait.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    ... By the time the new vaccines are developed it might be time for another booster in any case.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you're wanting a booster, now is the time to get it while Delta is our current main threat. There are so many unknowns and unanswered questions regarding Omicron that I personally wouldn't wait. And boosters are here to stay.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    If you're wanting a booster, now is the time to get it while Delta is our current main threat. There are so many unknowns and unanswered questions regarding Omicron that I personally wouldn't wait. And boosters are here to stay.
    Definitely agree — even if the vaccine mfrs are poised to make modifications in the current vaccines, it's way too early to know how omicron compares to delta (or to some yet-unknown variant), and how fast the approval processes will go.

If covid boosters become an annual event, hopefully more people will get them. Interestingly, I haven’t heard any scare stories about the annual flu vaccines being dangerous because they are changed somewhat each year (and some years are closer to the mark than others).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast