Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    ... I ordered a 7’ unlit spruce from Amazon……my kids are going to kill me but if we have this thing for even 3 years with the price of trees now it will pay for itself.
    The last artificial tree we had lasted almost 15 years until we outgrew it; I bought it at Target in 2005.

This is very similar to our current tree, which is only about 3 or 4 years old; we can choose steady or blinking lights, clear or multicolored. (DD and I prefer multicolor; DH prefers clear.)

I kind of miss stringing lights, though. I picked up the task when I was a high schooler & my mom had moved out.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Prices of real Christmas trees where you live

We went with unlit so we wouldn’t have to worry about having to replace lights or the entire tree if the lights stopped working.

Quote Originally Posted by infocrazy View Post
    Wait...did Costco have trees this year? I thought I heard they weren't doing them this year...
    I live near Corona, California and they had them at the Corona Costco last Sunday. I have no idea if it is a regional thing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our local "cut your own" farm is at $49 for any tree, I think, that's the rumor at least. We always wait until the last weekend (they close on the 12th) and have never had an issue (the place goes on and on forever). One fun thing about being in the middle of nowhere!

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    Our local "cut your own" farm is at $49 for any tree, I think, that's the rumor at least. We always wait until the last weekend (they close on the 12th) and have never had an issue (the place goes on and on forever). One fun thing about being in the middle of nowhere!
    Wow - lucky you!!

We switched to artificial several years ago so I don't know exact costs locally but I've heard several friends comment that the costs seemed higher than previous years. I also know there has been talk of a shortage on our state's tree farms starting in 2019.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    Even in the Los Angeles area up until the last three years or so I thought trees were pretty reasonably priced and more expensive at private lots and those tree were usually $45+, but if you wanted to save a few bucks you went to Lowe’s/Home Depot (or way back when Target’s Garden Center….I loved TGC) and only the 8’+ trees at larger stores were over $80. A Douglas Fir was always $20-$30 cheaper than a Noble or Grand Fir. Most of our trees come from Oregon.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 12-02-2021 at 02:58 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The place we go charges $10/foot.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We drove to northern NH bc all the local central places that cut your own were picked over from the last 2 years and had very few. Paid 80 for a super sharp Colorado blue spruce that was not perfect and I had to cut down and drag through a really long field up a steep hill. We love cutting down our tree, but this was not our best experience. The prices were MUCH higher this year by almost 20-30. The guy told us next year they will be even more bc they are scarce. And we live in the land of the Christmas tree. Next year I am going to buy a permit from the White Mountain National Forest for $5 and go hunting.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

So my DD1 was not happy with us when we told her we got a fake tree so while we were out shopping today we stopped at a local nursery and we ended up buying a 6.5 ft. Douglas Fir for $66 (including tax), which I think is about $20 more than normal. The most expensive Douglas Fir was $79. Noble Fir/Nordman Fir trees were $89 for a 5’ $109 for a 6’ tree , $139 for a 7’ tree, and went up in price from there. I have never had a Douglas Fir so it will be interesting decorating it, but it is a nice tree and I hope it lasts as long as the Noble Fir. It is not near a heat source so that is a plus as well.

Thankfully Amazon is sending me a free return label for the fake Christmas tree….the box weighs 44lbs so I am happy about that.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My older boys school has a Christmas tree lot so I took a peek when we were up there today for a service project. They only had a group of 7-8 ft trees left and they were $105. They looked like really pretty trees but we have fake due to DH’s allergies so I have no real experience.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast