Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are your kid's colleges requiring the booster?

Just heard that DS1's college is requiring all students to get the booster before the start of spring semester. Anyone else's kid's colleges requiring the booster?

They are also requiring testing before returning to campus, which they didn't require before the start of fall semester.

ETA: Correction ... they are requiring the booster, but I don't think it has to be before the start of the spring semester.
    Last edited by ett; 12-01-2021 at 09:12 PM.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Just heard that DS1's college is requiring all students to get the booster before the start of spring semester. Anyone else's kid's colleges requiring the booster?

They are also requiring testing before returning to campus, which they didn't require before the start of fall semester.
    I just had a friend yesterday tell me their son's college is requiring it in the spring to come back.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We haven't heard anything from DS1's school yet. They have a super high vaccination rate already among students and staff (98%) and the handful of cases they have had have been mostly among the staff since they are the ones leaving campus daily. They required baseline testing of everyone at the start of school and immediately after Thanksgiving break. Any unvaccinated students and staff are tested weekly. Masks are required indoors for all, except in your dorm room with your roommate. I asked on the parent's page and so far the student health center is not making boosters available. Students have to get them off campus.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Are your kid's colleges requiring the booster?

No but vaccines weren’t required. Unvaccinated need to be tested weekly. I believe the vaccination rate is over 90%.

Eta- everything is running at full operation. In person classes, activities, sports… Masks are required in every public space.
    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 12-01-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't think they have mandated boosters yet, but the student vaccination rate is almost 100% (staff is almost 98%). They test every other week and on demand. Students have started getting boosters without any problem. They have to wear masks indoors, except in dorms (if everyone present is ok with it) and a few other exceptions like eating in the cafeteria. They have done a great job and ds has all in person classes/labs and activities (thank goodness, after 1.5 years of being so strict!) though to be fair it's a small college and this is much more manageable- it gave him one more reason to chose a small college.
    His friends who went to UCs have virtual classes (they are huge lectures so it doesn't really matter) but they have smaller in person sessions with TAs- I assume labs must be in person?? So far everyone is managing just fine without closing down, but they all have very high vaccination rates.
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 12-02-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

The student vaccination rate is 98% and staff vaccination rate is 96%. There is an indoor mask mandate unless you are in your own dorm room, office, or eating in the dining hall. All of DS1's classes have been in person although most of their lectures are also recorded. Everything is running as normal, just with the indoor mask requirements.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son goes to the University where I work. The only vaccine required here is MMR. No testing and no masks either.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not my kids, yet, but I have 2 nieces and a nephew in 3 different colleges. No vaccination requirement for any of the schools as a whole. DNiece(1) is required to be vaccinated and boosted before starting her nursing clinical rotation this Spring. DNiece(2) was required to get vaccinated before the school soccer season if she wanted to travel, but was not required for school reasons. And Nephew has no requirements at all, although it's possible that people further into his major (pharmacy) are required.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh, I just looked it up. They are for my kids university. I’m thrilled.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We haven't received any emails yet, but I just checked DS1's college covid dashboard and it now says they will be requiring boosters for all who are eligible by the January 18th return date. DS1 got his booster last week.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast