Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Oh hugs!!! When I saw where it was, I hoped it wasn’t your kids’ school. I agree with using community support and hopefully the school has a plan for return to school.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am so sorry. I really feel for you and one of my first thoughts after this particular shooting was to wonder what I would do if it happened at my kids' schools, particularly in terms of the things you are concerned about.

As a therapist, I agree with others who recommend accessing resources that are available. Remember that they will probably have therapists and others who are literally trained in how to help people through this situation. With your kids, one thing I can recommend is to point out positive/helpful decisions they made if that is relevant. Or even positive/helpful decisions others made that kept them safe. One thing that can happen after a trauma is that people will second guess themselves and others in ways that are not accurate, so it is reassuring when they realize that they do make good decisions.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m really very sorry to hear this. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers. I don’t think I would send my kids back, honestly. If there are online options through your school district or other schools to pursue I would do so. How do the kids feel?

We are homeschoolers and my kids go to school to days a week at a co-op and have online classes through an excellent online school separate from our local classes.
    K

No advice, but I'm so, so sorry your kids experienced that. I can't imagine.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gobadgers View Post
    I am so sorry to hear this. I truly cannot imagine and my thoughts are with you, your kids and your community.

Monday seems unrealistic for the high school, though there are probably many people who will find it easier to cope when back at school. I hope the administration finds a way to avoid the hallway, though it sounds like even that will be tough. I don't know of any good answers, except giving everyone lots of room to express what they need.
    Oh no, I’m so so sorry. I agree that Monday seems terrifyingly soon. I could see kids finding comfort in being back with their friends or being even more terrified or sad. I think I’d talk with the kids and find out what they feel like doing. Keep talking about it with them to evaluate how they are progressing. I can’t even imagine.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am so very sorry your children and community had to witness this. We will be thinking of you and praying for all of you.

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am so sorry. You, your kids, your community has just been through a horrific trauma. I would try to just take each moment as it comes and not make any decisions about returning to school *right now*. I would access as many resources as I could for my kids to help them process. And go from there. Holding you all tight in my thoughts and prayers.

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    I imagine there will be some communication from the high school about what the plans will look like. This has become a common enough thing that there must be a bit of blueprint of how schools should handle it and resources available. I would probably want my kids there for the community healing parts. I can't imagine the plan is to return to normal classes as usual so whatever spaces they are making available to students to process will be most available when school first reopens and I would want them there for that if they are able. I would try to avoid skipping weeks of school as I think it will just get harder to go back. Keep expectations low, have a plan for if they go and need to bail, but I would definitely encourage going and being part of the community.

When I read about the shooting this board was the first thing I thought of. I know we have several long term members in MI and I'm sorry that a family here was affected.
    I agree completely. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

I think perhaps it would be good if the school were able to do an open house of sorts or maybe offered some of the services inside the school. I think it would help everyone for the first time back if the kids could go with friends and parents to help have a lot of support walking back through the school and particularly the classrooms they were in when it all happened. Going to be very tough for everyone.

I do expect that particularly the first week or so the majority of the classes will be focused on grief counseling and there will be a lot of leeway in the classes.

I think the sherrif said it best. 11 injured but all harmed.

Whatever you think your kids need is the right decision.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm so very sorry. Previous posters have provided great advice so I have nothing to add, but I couldn't read and not post. I'm sincerely sorry your children had to go through that, no one ever should but especially a child/young adult.

I agree with previous posts … if the kids can attend, those first few days will be focused on resuming school and recovering. There will extra supports and could be the extra comfort needed to heal a little. If they miss those days, it may be harder to take that step back into school at a later date when those supports aren’t in place.

I can’t even imagine what you are going through. I’m so sorry!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast