Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Update:

Thank you for the advice. I have read through a few times.
    K-8 go back tomorrow (Friday) for a half day. DS2 says he is ready. They are mostly going to the class they were locked down in last week and advisory for bonding and learning about dealing with trauma. They will have uniformed officers in the building, therapy dogs, counselors, etc. High school is out until January at least. I know they are working in there on the building, but I have no idea what they are doing. It was definitely a wreck, as someone said. Many rooms were locked and barricaded and kids left through windows. Kids should get their backpacks and coats back next week, so things are happening. All the teachers are having specific trauma training before having kids back. So many teachers in the schools have their kids here too. I don’t think there will be a lot of actual learning in the first week back, but hopefully there is more healing. I am still struggling with the thought of dropping my middle school kid off tomorrow. But I think being there is what he needs too.

Our community and area around us has been so great. We have a building that has a lot of activities in it – Urban Air, a boxing place, swim school, coffee shops, laser tag, etc. Everything has been free for any kid here. Not just high school. People give money to the coffee shops so they can give out drinks all day. People volunteer to work there so high school kids who normally do, don’t have to. Businesses donate meals and feed everyone there twice a day. There are therapy dogs, bunnies to hold, and trained counselors around all day. It’s pretty amazing. Having a safe place to hang out with friends has helped a lot of the kids.

My kids are doing okay, I think. My daughter is greatly missing her sketch book, which is still at school. She loves to draw and it’s a comfort. She will be glad to get that back. My son and I attended a funeral today. It was hard. His friend group has gotten together often. The high school is having a gathering tomorrow night (at an elementary). My son went to it last week and said 400-500 kids were there and it was good. They had the gym open, food for all, classrooms open to sit and talk, etc. This week, they are adding crafts, more games, movies. I’m encouraging my daughter, but she’s not ready yet.

My kids are all in band and/or orchestra. Our music directors put our fight song music out to as many other directors as they could. Every night I do a search on Facebook and You Tube for more recordings. It’s so fun! Bands have included it in their winter concerts learning it in just a couple of hours. My kids come running when they hear it playing and they just love it. I love there is something bringing a smile to their faces! The high school is working to get the kids instruments so they can play Christmas carols through neighborhoods.

Our PTOs have decorated the elementary and middle school buildings with lights and snowflakes. We’ve had huge bags of snowflakes delivered from around the area to help. Kids making them and sending them along. The schools will be a beautiful place tomorrow!

All and all, we’re okay. It’ll be a while before we are better than that though.

I’m so sorry so many schools had threats. I’m glad there is a terrorism charge because that is what it is. I cry and freak out for any sirens now. Even when we are all at home. I know some of the “false alarms” are legitimate as the person calling really believed there was danger. These kids have been so scared.

Thank you all again.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OP, I teared up reading about everything your community is doing in response to this tragedy. HUGS.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Continuing to keep you and your community in my thoughts. It is so heartening to read how the very best in people is showing up to support your community at the very worst of times.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thank you for speaking up here to let us know one of our own families was affected by this and thank you for sharing the update. Hugs, hugs, and more hugs to your family and your community.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the update. I have been thinking about you. Hugs to you, your family, and your community.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Keeping your family and community in our prayers.

I saw in the paper this morning that the high school is reopening tomorrow. Sending you all strength for a peaceful return to school.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5