Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Anyone workout before 5:00 am?

The pandemic got me working out regularly using a program I really like. I've struggled a bit since my kids started back up at school though! I get up early already (5:00). I can't get up any later than that actually and frankly I usually don't need my alarm. I'm an early bird who has anxious early wakeups.

So my workouts don't usually exceed 45 minutes BUT I'm finding that I need a few minutes on each side of them to kind of settle in. I need to gather my weights, find my ear buds, etc. I probably need to set aside an hour for a 45 minute workout just to make sure I'm not rushing through at the end. (A big part of this program I do is about getting your body back into resting state at the end so it can heal and grow.) Nothing is more frustrating than to have waking kids standing over me asking for breakfast during savasana, lol.

The only way I can make an hour (uninterrupted) work is to get up about 30 minutes earlier. Like 4:30 am! It sounds ridiculous. But of the options I'm weighing I think I like it the best.

Of course another option is to drop the kids off at school and do it at 8:00 every day but after months of working out in the quiet dark it just feels weird and I don't like it. Also, 8:00 is prime work hours for me. I feel super focused and productive on that stuff and often get calls from my boss or others!

I could also do it at 12:40 every day but again it just doesn't flow with my exercise. Also, I find that if I put it at the end of my work day, it just doesn't happen as consistently.

Would you do it? Have you ever done it?

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do.

My alarm goes off at 4:15, I snooze or check email til about 4:30, then I get up and fix coffee. I start my workout around 4:45 to 5. I aim to be done by 6. I'm often out the door at 6:45. I use the 45 min to shower, prep dinner, kids' lunches, my lunch. So the workout is the calm before the storm!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I do.

My alarm goes off at 4:15, I snooze or check email til about 4:30, then I get up and fix coffee. I start my workout around 4:45 to 5. I aim to be done by 6. I'm often out the door at 6:45. I use the 45 min to shower, prep dinner, kids' lunches, my lunch. So the workout is the calm before the storm!
    That's a solid amount of stuff accomplished before 6:45! I have this weird broken up morning schedule. At 5:00 I wake my teens. At 5:40 we have to be out the door. I get home by about 6:20 and my little kids get up at 7:00. So there isn't really an hour uninterrupted in there! I think for now I'll do my cardio or meditation FIRST (because it is shorter), wake up the boys at 5:00, start my lifting routine right after and be done by 5:30 ish? Gives me enough time to make sure that they don't forget things like their insulin pumps, lol (true story this past week!) until I'm out the door. I just like the idea of having that time relatively uninterrupted and DONE before my day gets a chance to be derailed!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My boss works out at 4:30am each morning and she doesn't have kids, has a 1 min commute to the office, and doesn't arrive to work until 8am. She's just a morning person. I am too but lord I wouldn't be working out at 4:30am if I had almost 4hrs before needing to be at work!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sounds like the 5am works for You, even if it sounds horrible to me! EVeryone has their own way.

Can you make part of your bedtime routine to set up everything for your workout in the morning? I would get as set up as you can each night, and then get up five minutes earlier each day until you hit the "sweet Spot."

(Please forgive the weird capitals, my key keeps sticking!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Sounds like the 5am works for You, even if it sounds horrible to me! EVeryone has their own way.

Can you make part of your bedtime routine to set up everything for your workout in the morning? I would get as set up as you can each night, and then get up five minutes earlier each day until you hit the "sweet Spot."

(Please forgive the weird capitals, my key keeps sticking!)
    I like the idea of taking it back in just a few small increments at a time until I find the sweet spot!

LBW is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I’m curious…what program are you following?

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    I’m curious…what program are you following?
    I've been doing the free content for months now from the EVLO program by Dr. Shannon Ritchey. It is a pricy program ($59 a month) but she offers a lot of free content. If you download the app (called EVLO) there is a free week's worth of classes there (that you can repeat over and over again). She also does free instagram classes if you follow her and will send a free additional class weekly. I am seriously toying with the idea of springing for the full membership because I find the content really valuable so it makes me feel good to promote it since I've taken great advantage of the free stuff she offers! I like that she is a physical therapist and her workouts are designed to build muscle without taxing your joints. I have a tricky knee and have struggled with tight traps and her exercises are REALLY helpful. I especially love her ab workouts. I'm happy to talk more about it. I actually love working out now and it doesn't hurt. She has a podcast too!

LBW is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you! I will check it out. I’m always looking for different workouts that will hold my interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I've been doing the free content for months now from the EVLO program by Dr. Shannon Ritchey. …

I don’t get up that early to work out, but I have been following Sydney Cummings programs on YouTube and love it. She has a new workout everyday at 5am.

Something that helps me is to set everything out the night before. Water in the fridge, ear buds on the charger always in the same place, coffee programmed to come on automatically, workout clothes including socks and shoes right beside me. My weights are on a rack beside the tv but sometimes I’ll even set them out with my yoga mat to save one more step in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast