Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Day care advice

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Reentry is hard on lots of us. It must be especially hard for you since your daughter was able to be home with a nanny for so long. I can see how that setup can be jarring. I think it was a special set up for the holiday and likely not as many kids on a daily basis. My kids are older so they tend to eat in smaller groups but truth be told there isn’t much social distancing going on. It made me uneasy initially but it has gotten better. One of my DC had lunch unmasked with a friend for several days before the friend tested positive. Neither had been vaccinated yet and luckily my DS didn’t get sick. Here’s hoping the next few months fly by until your DD starts kindergarten!!

Yes, re-entry has been very hard for us. The only IRL person I asked made me feel anxious as she said her son’s school is good about seating the kids 3 feet apart at meal times when masks are off, but he’s older and in real school so the kids need less help and I didn’t know if that was a fair comparison. I posted here to get a lot of opinions and it seems overwhelmingly as though I need to just relax and leave this alone. Thanks so much for all the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'll be the one to say I'd be upset. That seating appears to be shoulder to shoulder. In our district kids do eat unmasked but a min of 3 ft apart and often much closer to 6ft.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I teach half day preschool at a very small church preschool program (6 - 4 yo, 7 - 3 yo & 3 - 2 yo; 1 teacher per class). We have the kids (except the 2 yo) masking indoors and have served snack outside weather permitting - it’s getting more difficult to keep outdoor snack going w/temperature & wind). We did have a thanksgiving party indoors due to weather but had the kids ~6 feet apart and I opened several windows and turned to hvac fan on. It’s hard right now as several kids are having sneezing & coughing issues. We hand wash twice in 3 hours (more if they use the restroom). We don’t sing inside. Last year we completely discontinued snack after Thanksgiving due to the rise in cases. We have determined what will happen in January. We were able to do that because we are only there 3 hours. I keep the kids outside for at least 45 minutes at the beginning and end of our day (as long as it isn’t raining/snowing - those 3 year olds are happy to be outside and almost never ask to go inside!) If any parent wanted to know what we are doing I would be more than happy to tell them and be open to suggestions. We really want to be able to keep the school open and everyone healthy. I imagine all day care is much more difficult.
    DS 2/09

Have you been led to believe that the school is keeping kids in their "pods", especially while eating and sleeping unmasked? If that is part of their policy, I can see how this picture would be jarring. It's not unreasonable to ask so you know and reading the daycare Covid policies seems completely appropriate. Our PreK-8 school publicly published their policy and anytime changes are made, they tell us.

I agree with others - reentry is hard. You are entrusting the daycare with your child and have every right to politely ask for their policies without feeling badly about it. Ultimately, I wouldn't be upset about that setup but everyone has their own personal comfort levels.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Add me to the list of people that would have questions about this setup, particularly if you've been led to believe they usually pod the classes for mask free times.

It sounds like this meal is over and done with so I'd approach it as just asking their meal covid precautions, especially in light of locally increasing cases. I'd hope they could at least pod the kids if not provide some distance between them. Our elementary lunchroom seats kids staggered along the tables with space between them and so they arent directly breathing on the person facing them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2