Thread: Grading rubric?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Grading rubric?

Is it typical for a teacher to have a rubric for grading that the kids don’t get to see when they are given the assignment?

Having issues with a teacher and I just wondered if other teachers do this. The assignments are very vague, with almost no parameters and grading seems very harsh. It’s really hard to know where the points are taken from without any kind of point of reference.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our online school classes have the rubrics published as a guide to students to see before assignments.
    K

It's not typical in our experience. My kids use rubrics to guide their work on projects and papers. It seems common for their teachers to use a copy of it while grading and hand it back so the see where points were deducted.

IIRC, you've had some other issues with a teacher this year. Is this the same one? It sounds frustrating!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

I used to teach college level biology (so this might not apply by level or subject matter) but I don’t remember ever giving the students the grading rubric. They were supposed to be learning things like how to write a lab report (which we absolutely taught/provided guidance on), not learning to follow a grading rubric. So the rubric might say something like “clearly state hypothesis at end of introduction (5 pts)” and providing them that really wouldn’t teach them how to write, just how to check boxes. They should know they need to state the hypothesis from lessons and assignment instructions. Does that make sense as a reason a rubric might not be provided? We were required to have a clear grading policy including what would make up their final grade in the syllabus but weren’t required to provide rubrics for each assignment.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Rubrics aren’t required, ime. They’re nice to have and most teachers use them but there are teachers that just grade subjectively. If your kids are upset about grades, they should talk to their teachers.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Rubrics can serve a lot of different functions and whether they are provided to students ahead of time seems to depend on how the teacher uses the rubric and the teacher’s philosophy. Not providing the rubric to students would not bother me, but not providing clear instructions for the assignment is a different issue.

My kids have not gotten to this point yet, so this is my view as a professor who has had some formal training in course evaluation but not a whole teaching degree worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

For my DS in 8th, it depends on the teacher and assignment. He never gets a rubric for ELA assignments because by this point they should know the expectations. The science teacher always gives a rubric, but it's very generic. Stuff like "project is neat and well put together" and "all grammar is correct."

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Rubrics can serve a lot of different functions and whether they are provided to students ahead of time seems to depend on how the teacher uses the rubric and the teacher’s philosophy. Not providing the rubric to students would not bother me, but not providing clear instructions for the assignment is a different issue.

My kids have not gotten to this point yet, so this is my view as a professor who has had some formal training in course evaluation but not a whole teaching degree worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes to different purposes. I taught at a graduate level and we did not share our rubrics with the students. We had clear assignment parameters and point breakdowns for the assignment so they knew where to spend effort. The rubric was for us. It had to go back to the mission statement of the program as a whole and objectives for that course. It was for us to make sure we were teaching and grading the right things. It also helped us have parameters for what a below, average and above average work would look like. Rubrics in K-12 should tie into state mandates for education and (hopefully) developmentally appropriate goals for the age. So really not stuff for the students to use.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've rarely seen a rubric for a class for myself or my kids.

In this case, I'd probably get DChild to talk to the teacher first to get input on what they could do differently (with a quick email from me letting them know that DC was going to talk to them and why), and if that doesn't help, I'd call & talk to them myself.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)