Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Covid and travel

DH is traveling for a funeral. We are all vaccinated and boostered. I am not at all Civid comfortable with DH taking this trip, but he had to go, not attending was never an option which I understand completely, but DH is our least covid safe family member; least likely to mask and the first the embrace indoor crowds. In the situation it is a total of 4 flights and 16 hours in planes and airports; he is sharing a condo with 3 buddies, eating out, attending indoor functions, ect.

We were all boosted about a month ago, so we are all as protected as possible. I hate the Covid is still such a concern for me in this situation. I want to be overreacting…. Because I am really concerned and know there is nothing I can do except hope DH is being as safe as possible and trust the vaccines.

How concerned would you be?

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Your entire family including kids are boosted? If so, I think I’d just trust the vaccine though I’m with you that it would make me uncomfortable too. I would have him take a rapid test when he gets home, and then again 2-3 days later. And then maybe even one more a week later 😂 and if those are negative, I’d take it as a win and if one is positive, you hopefully caught it early before he’s symptomatic/more contagious and can isolate him if you choose.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Agree with pp. At some point you just need to trust the vaccines and be able to resume some normalcy. We’re traveling now and staying with family, went out to eat, sightseed… there’s always a lingering discomfort when around strangers not following mask rules on transportation but I wear a mask and am vaccinated. Odds are hopefully in my favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is someone in your family high risk for Covid? If so, it makes sense to still be really concerned.

If not, I’d say you are definitely overreacting. You’ve done what you can do to protect your family and if you are all fully vaxxed and low risk, you deserve to relax a little and grab back a little bit of normal. You don’t have to go wild. It’s still good to take some precautions, but it’s not healthy to worry so much about something that is a minimal risk to you.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So glad you are all boosted! I would say you are as safe as possible. I don't think the word overreacting is appropriate, as there is risk and still so many unknowns with Covid, so I think it makes sense to have concerns. However, this seems like a minimal, necessary risk.
    Last edited by JustMe; 12-05-2021 at 02:44 AM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH is back to traveling for work. He wears a mask at home when he returns. We test at home on the 4th day back. A colleague he was traveling with on his last trip tested positive three days after returning. She is fully vaccinated and has had a booster. Masking is cheap and easy to do. My kids have been wearing a mask all day at school for the last 1.5 years so I don’t worry about requesting DH do the same until we know he’s in the clear. DS2 will be two weeks post 2nd shot next week but I doubt we’ll change our process here at home.

We have had a couple of occasions in the last few months where we needed to travel to and/or attend lifecycle event gatherings. In addition to wearing KN95 masks as much as possible/practical, we also purchased personal air purifier lanyards. We wear them as a "necklace", or more discretely clipped to our collar whenever navigating planes/airports or when around groups of people. I especially like knowing I am wearing one when I have to remove my mask to eat indoors near other people at these events. This is the one that we purchased.https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Mama to my three:
    DD 2/2003
    DD 5/2006
    DS 3/2010

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If you are all vaccinated and boosted AND no one in your family has comorbidities, then you should be fine. Our community has pretty much gone back to normal. Many of our friends have had Covid. All of our friends who were vaccinated and caught it said it was nothing more than an annoying cold. It really does seem like the vaccinations are doing their job. Trust them and relax.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd feel the same in your shoes. DH is going on a ski trip over New Years and I'm on edge about it. He is also the least likely to mask, and especially when he's around people who don't mask. He is boostered, as am I. DS2 will be 2 weeks post second shot next week. I am a bit worried about DS1 since he's 6+ months out. Our plan is to rapid test at home when he gets home, 3 days later, and again a few days after that. It's not just that I"m worried about them getting covid because it's covid, we just don't really have time to be quarantined for 10+ days because of illness so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

DH has resumed a level of business travel. I was really nervous the first few times but now we treat it like anything else Covid-related. He's vaccinated and boosted, masks indoors as possible and takes all reasonable precautions. I'd also love to avoid the virus if possible but I've had to accept that we need to find a way to live with it. Could you have him test upon return and then 3-4 days later?
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast