hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Covid and travel

DH is traveling for a funeral. We are all vaccinated and boostered. I am not at all Civid comfortable with DH taking this trip, but he had to go, not attending was never an option which I understand completely, but DH is our least covid safe family member; least likely to mask and the first the embrace indoor crowds. In the situation it is a total of 4 flights and 16 hours in planes and airports; he is sharing a condo with 3 buddies, eating out, attending indoor functions, ect.

We were all boosted about a month ago, so we are all as protected as possible. I hate the Covid is still such a concern for me in this situation. I want to be overreacting…. Because I am really concerned and know there is nothing I can do except hope DH is being as safe as possible and trust the vaccines.

How concerned would you be?

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    DH is traveling for a funeral. We are all vaccinated and boostered. I am not at all Civid comfortable with DH taking this trip, but he had to go, not attending was never an option which I understand completely, but DH is our least covid safe family member; least likely to mask and the first the embrace indoor crowds. In the situation it is a total of 4 flights and 16 hours in planes and airports; he is sharing a condo with 3 buddies, eating out, attending indoor functions, ect.

We were all boosted about a month ago, so we are all as protected as possible. I hate the Covid is still such a concern for me in this situation. I want to be overreacting…. Because I am really concerned and know there is nothing I can do except hope DH is being as safe as possible and trust the vaccines.

How concerned would you be?
    Before two weeks ago, I would have been slightly concerned. Now after having a 2yo with covid who has been coughing all over me, laying all over me (still nursing,) etc. for the past week while pretty sick and I still haven't gotten it---I'd say my booster has worked pretty darn well. (And I've tested every few days to make sure since I work with high risk pregnant patients and they still expect me to work-actually without testing but anyway.) My mom is also boostered and has also been around DD quite a bit (she babysat for me one of the days I had to work because she's the best) and she's also been and stayed negative.

Good luck, I hope your family stays healthy!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Before two weeks ago, I would have been slightly concerned. Now after having a 2yo with covid who has been coughing all over me, laying all over me (still nursing,) etc. for the past week while pretty sick and I still haven't gotten it---I'd say my booster has worked pretty darn well. (And I've tested every few days to make sure since I work with high risk pregnant patients and they still expect me to work-actually without testing but anyway.) My mom is also boostered and has also been around DD quite a bit (she babysat for me one of the days I had to work because she's the best) and she's also been and stayed negative.

Good luck, I hope your family stays healthy!
    Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! You don't know how much I needed to hear that! DH is about six weeks out from his booster, so I would think at maximum booster immunity. He had to take this trip and, while I am so glad he is there, the idea of him spending so much time with people indoors, not to mention flying for so long... ARGH!!! I am trying to relax about it. DH is our "weak link" and the one who trusts the vaccines the most. I, on the other hand, am the one who panics and trust nothing (would prefer to never come in contact with the virus at all, not possible, but...). I haven't mentioned to him at all to remember covid precautions, but did give him a 5 pack of disposable masks (I never expected him to even take them, but he just said "what's this?" and put them in his bag ).

To know that you had that much exposure and stayed healthy is so reassuring. I do hope your little one is better, it is so hard when they are sick! Also, I am SHOCKED that work allowed you to continue to see patients with that much direct exposure... SENDING HUGS and a HUGE THANK YOU!

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If he could refrain from eating or drinking in the airport terminal and keep his mask on that would be best. From what I read it appears airplanes are actually safer. (Constant circulation of air, better filtering, people not moving around a small much.) Also, if he is going to a higher risk area OR the numbers numbers get a 3 pack of Binax rapid tests. Have him test before returning (he’s more like to get it while there) Then if you are really concerned he can quarantine and do a rapid test the nest day or two. The rapids aren’t 100%, but taking them several days in a row increases the chance of catching a positive infection. You don’t have to, but it might make your more comfortable