Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD has been through two lockdowns. The first was due to a robbery suspect that was fleeing from the scene and had run by the campus. The second later turned out to be a hoax… They had a plan in place and were all together in the gym and then I had to go pick her and her friends up from the district office.

I remember getting the message when I was in the middle of a hair appointment. I just ran out of there, all sorts of thoughts racing through my head.
    I feel sick that our kids have gotten accustomed to this and, for them, it’s just a way of life.
    We have also had several hoaxes but they usually get sorted out.

ETA: I suppose it’s good to reiterate the importance of saying something if they see unusual behavior. I was going to say we should reassure them that it’s just so unlikely to happen to them, but I’m not sure I can say that Rather, I would focus on the fact that they have a solid plan and people who care.
    that’s what made me all the more disgusted about the school admin. At Oxford.
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 12-06-2021 at 09:24 PM.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think DD had at least one lockdown drill in elementary. She had one "real" lockdown earlier this fall. It was for a potential threat-- if I understand correctly, something said by one student to another that was taken seriously, until police assessed the situation and decided there was no true danger. We talked about it afterwards-- there was a mix of being anxious when it happened, but also feeling that it is just another thing that they prepare for, like a fire drill.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My ds in 4th grade had a lockdown today. Apparently there was an irate parent in the building and the staff dealing with him felt he was a threat. Not sure if there was suspicion that a weapon was involved or not. He was pretty scared, but it was not the first thing he told me about after school so I don't think it was that traumatizing. His teacher just had them working quietly at their desks with doors and windows locked- some of the other teachers had kids under desks or hiding, I am not sure why the difference- maybe there are different levels of lockdown. One thing that freaked me out a little was when he mentioned that his teacher didn't have to take attendance because she knew nobody was in the bathroom- just thinking that through- what should he do if he is in a bathroom and a lockdown is announced? I guess hide in a stall? Yikes, I hate thinking about that.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    My ds in 4th grade had a lockdown today. Apparently there was an irate parent in the building and the staff dealing with him felt he was a threat. Not sure if there was suspicion that a weapon was involved or not. He was pretty scared, but it was not the first thing he told me about after school so I don't think it was that traumatizing. His teacher just had them working quietly at their desks with doors and windows locked- some of the other teachers had kids under desks or hiding, I am not sure why the difference- maybe there are different levels of lockdown. One thing that freaked me out a little was when he mentioned that his teacher didn't have to take attendance because she knew nobody was in the bathroom- just thinking that through- what should he do if he is in a bathroom and a lockdown is announced? I guess hide in a stall? Yikes, I hate thinking about that.
    It might vary by school, but if we have a lockdown, kids are instructed to go into the nearest classroom.

We have 2 types of lockdowns. One is just got a general threat, like bad air, loose animal, etc. The other is a threatening person on campus. One just requires us to lock and close doors, the other requires us to hide and take cover.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    It might vary by school, but if we have a lockdown, kids are instructed to go into the nearest classroom.

We have 2 types of lockdowns. One is just got a general threat, like bad air, loose animal, etc. The other is a threatening person on campus. One just requires us to lock and close doors, the other requires us to hide and take cover.
    At my school we have several lock downs a year due to police activity in the area. Sad to say that if a helicopter is hovering overhead, my students will ask “are we on lockdown?”The office actually calls the sheriff’s department to check if the school hasn’t been called to go on lockdown. We continue to do work and I lock the door and pull the blinds. We’re very used to lockdowns

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2