Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As far as I know, this is not something my teens are doing. And I can be fairly sure about my oldest and near 100% sure about my middle (he’s just not out there being super sociable at the moment). My oldest does say that vaping is an issue at every high school he knows of. He’s in a private school and they don’t have issues with things like tik tok challenges, but certainly kids drink and vape and do other stupid things that are somewhat common across all demographics of teenagers. I did stupid things.

We’ve just sat and talked about this with him. He’s a two sport varsity athlete and stamina is a big deal for both sports. He is generally pretty healthy about what he does with his body and vaping is just terrible for that. There are things you can learn to do in moderation and things that are just not healthy in any capacity (vaping is in that category).

The best you can do is just talk with your kids about it and hope they have the will power not to follow the crowd. Unfortunately, teens are going to do stupid things…they won’t all do the same stupid things, but they will absolutely do stupid things.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    This reminds me of the Nintendo thread. Anytime there is a thread here where I say that my kids go to a private Catholic high school, there are always posters who insinuate that I don’t know my kids, Catholic school kids are the worst offenders of premarital sex, drug use, alcohol use, hiding crap from their parents…. Fill in the blank. There is no point in me saying that there has never been one kid at our high school who dropped out from pregnancy or tumors of pre-marital sex, or trouble with the law or drug use because no one here will believe me. But it’s true.
    I think your school is tinier than what any of the rest of us have experience with. My boys private school is 850 students (6-12) which is considered fairly small, but I think we have more students in 6th grade (smallest class) than your whole school has. I don’t think it’s something any of us could have a comparison to. But yeah, all the typicaly sized high schools here have some sort of issue with common teenage stupid choices, religious or not, conservative or liberal. But NONE of them are that small. I mean, I know of only one high school that is as small as I imagine yours is and we don’t know any students there to know what they have going on, but if they were lacking issues, it wouldn’t be a surprise.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 12-07-2021 at 10:58 AM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My dd said vaping was all over her high school. She is now a college freshman and has been offered THC vape pens. I go for a more education than scare tactic approach. She has asthma and knows how awful it is to not be able to breathe. We don't know exactly what is in the vaping liquid and what the effects are on the body since it hasn't been studied. Of course it's up to her to make good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    This reminds me of the Nintendo thread. Anytime there is a thread here where I say that my kids go to a private Catholic high school, there are always posters who insinuate that I don’t know my kids, Catholic school kids are the worst offenders of premarital sex, drug use, alcohol use, hiding crap from their parents…. Fill in the blank. There is no point in me saying that there has never been one kid at our high school who dropped out from pregnancy or tumors of pre-marital sex, or trouble with the law or drug use because no one here will believe me. But it’s true.
    My suspicion is that your school is much smaller and a different environment altogether than the private/Catholic schools most of us are referencing in this post. My frame of reference is from larger Catholic schools. Many families aren't even Catholic (including my own when I was growing up and now my kids) so religion isn't always the reason for attending. Definitely drinking, drugs and sex at the main Catholic high school in our area but it exists in public schools of similar size too. I think most of us mean that the parties happen in nicer homes, the liquor is more expensive and drugs more designer, not that it's more rampant. Your school community probably does have a different culture and I don't doubt for one minute that you are communicating effectively with your kids better than many of us about these topics.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    My suspicion is that your school is much smaller and a different environment altogether than the private/Catholic schools most of us are referencing in this post. My frame of reference is from larger Catholic schools. Many families aren't even Catholic (including my own when I was growing up and now my kids) so religion isn't always the reason for attending. Definitely drinking, drugs and sex at the main Catholic high school in our area but it exists in public schools of similar size too. I think most of us mean that the parties happen in nicer homes, the liquor is more expensive and drugs more designer, not that it's more rampant. Your school community probably does have a different culture and I don't doubt for one minute that you are communicating effectively with your kids better than many of us about these topics.
    totally. These aren't tiny little schools with a dozen kids per grade. Graduation size is probably 300 kids. They are just treated as cheaper private schools in our city and attract people from many backgrounds vs people that are specifically looking for a strict Catholic education.

MSWR0319 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm pretty sure DS isn't vaping. He came home from school the first day and was telling me about kids getting caught vaping in the bathroom an hour in on the first day. They installed some new type of detectors in the bathrooms to detect it and they work! They held an assembly after they went off 3 or 4 times the first day they were installed to talk about it. I have no idea what they are vaping, and I don't think DS does either. He also told me a few weeks ago he was in the bathroom when the vaping alarm went off and he thought he was the only one in there, so he ran out because he was afraid he was going to get in trouble. So I'm just trying to keep conversations open right now since he seems to be willing to discuss things.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3