Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default fun christmas day food

This year Christmas Day is gonna look different for us, as it'll be just my immediate family and want to keep it fun for the boys as far food goes. Food is a big part of their celebrations growing up as we have large extended family going all out.

We have 90th birthday party with dinner on 23rd so it'll be fairly fancy, then Christmas eve with stuffed shells and various seafood. What are your typical family traditions as far food go and meals for 25th?
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Our focus is breakfast. Cinnamon rolls are a must. Egg casserole. Sausage crepes. Fruit.

We just eat two meals on Christmas. The brunch is 10ish and I tend to fancy it up with china and nice table. Then we graze on junk almost all day. When it is just our family of five our second meal is frequently chili or charcuterie.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If we are home (we often are on vacation over Christmas), we do a big brunch. Cinnamon rolls, ebelskivers with different fillings, an egg casserole of some sort, monkey bread or similar. For dinner sometimes we do a big meal (a roast, a big lasagna and salad, a ham and sides) but sometimes we just do a big charcuterie board. Once we did fondue and that was fun but we usually do fondue or raclette for NYE instead. This year we are on vacation and I'm trying to figure out what we will do - go out or cater in. I'm not planning to cook in a rental house kitchen where I have no idea what kind of set up there will be.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    Our focus is breakfast. Cinnamon rolls are a must. Egg casserole. Sausage crepes. Fruit.

We just eat two meals on Christmas. The brunch is 10ish and I tend to fancy it up with china and nice table. Then we graze on junk almost all day. When it is just our family of five our second meal is frequently chili or charcuterie.
    I like this! Sounds perfect!

This will be a great thread. We often do s breakfast casserole and cinnamon rolls. We often do oven ready hors-d’oeuvres for the evening meal.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Like others here, we have 2 big meals on Christmas Day. I’ve offered to change it up but the kids always ask for the same things: savory sausage strata, Honey baked ham, green salad, butterbraid, grand fruit salad and DS2 always asks for baked greenbeans. Then we spend the rest of the day snacking on sweets and Christmas cookies until it’s time to go to my cousin’s house. We always go there later in the day for dinner and they always make a turkey and the fixings.

Christmas Eve has been dinner at my cousin’s house for the past 35 years. He took up the tradition after my grandmother died.

On New Years Eve we invite people over and have a big taco salad buffet with shells made by a local restaurant. We top it off with a big sweets buffet and several fun drink stations. I love that the taco salads can be as healthy and customized as each person wants.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 12-07-2021 at 06:52 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Christmas day is a big brunch - egg casserole, french toast casserole, cinnamon rolls, huge fruit salad and then dinner with my family. We usually do a standing rib roast and assorted sides. We eat stocking candy and Christmas cookies in between.

Christmas Eve is a charcuterie board with soup and salad and Christmas cookie platter for dessert. After we had kids and started going to an earlier church service, I needed an easy to prep ahead meal to serve after church. At this point, we are usually only hosting my parents Christmas Eve so it's perfect for 7 of us.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

jent is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for starting this thread. Until last year we pretty much always got together with extended family on Christmas. Last year was the first time it was just us (DH, DD, and me) and I remember not being sure what/how we wanted to approach dinner. I'm pretty sure we did a breakfast favorite like waffles or DH's homemade pancakes. Cannot recall what we ended up doing for dinner though.

This year we are going to my sister's so it is back to tradition.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

Our tradition is an egg/sausage/cheese casserole and cinnamon schmear scones for breakfast. Then I do a rib roast for dinner (fancy) with lava cakes for dessert. Christmas Eve is soup and salad. My mom always did that so we would have time to get to Christmas Eve services and so we didn't have 2 huge meals in a row. (to cook or eat)
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Christmas breakfast is French toast casserole, bacon, and fruit. The girls and I like being home just our small family on Christmas Day and doing the big family stuff on Christmas Eve or day after Christmas. I normally do a big dinner on Christmas with pineapple and ham in the crockpot, mashed potatoes, veggies, rolls, etc., and Christmas cookies for dessert. For New Year’s Eve we do fondue (cheese with breads and meats and chocolate with fruit and pretzels).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm half Mexican so we make and eat tamales every Christmas Eve. Christmas Day is a stay in pajamas all day and eat more tamales. Last Christmas we decided to order bagels and different cream cheeses to have for Christmas morning. I think that was SnuggleBuggles new tradition that she posted about last year. Everyone liked that and we plan to do it again this year.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast