Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Hospitality Conundrum?

Wondering what would you do regarding this situation.

DD is getting baptized on next Sunday. We have family members from both DH's "side" and my side that would like to attend. On my side everyone is vaccinated AND my Mom just had surgery and my Dad is undergoing treatment for cancer (radiation, not chemo). On DH's side all the adults are vaccinated but most of the teenagers are not and none of the kids (except mine). DH's family has been getting together throughout the duration of COVID. On my side we will be gathering for my sisters wedding (Saturday).

We want to make sure our out of town guests have something to eat for the baptism. How would you arrange for something with these two very disparate groups of people?

My vote is provide food and refreshments outside. It will be dark and should be (for us) cold (in the 50s). I say we use our outdoor propane heaters and fire pits, serve warm food and hot chocolate. If groups choose to spend less time there, that's ok. At least they have an option for warm food and rest. DH thinks it isn't hospitable enough.

What do you think?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Totally fine. Have some s'mores stuff, hot chocolate (in the crockpot or see if you can borrow one of those big Gatorade water dispensers- they do a great job with hot chocolate) and warm food. It's a-ok for your crowd.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think your plan sounds perfectly fine. People realize plans need to be adjusted due to Covid.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think its fine and would appreciate being able to be outside. Might want to warn everyone that refreshments will be outside so they can bring a sweater.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

I think it is totally fine, and agree that people (at least should) understand that some things need to be slightly different due to Covid. I do agree with telling everyone the plan ahead of time so they can bring appropriate clothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for the feedback! I also see outside as a plus. The same people who don’t want to vaccinate also don’t like to be outside but what can you do??

Would love menu suggestions. I was planning on doing Costco taquitos (I know, classy!) because they’re DDs favorite food. I figured we’d have fixings to make them tasty (cheese, salsas, guacamole, etc) and then I’d serve 3 other premade salads on the side. (Quinoa, lentil, green salad). Now I’m thinking salads might not be the right choice?

Another vote for totally fine assuming you tell folks in advance what to expect (outside!)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DH’s work had an outside work party last night. Everyone had to be vaccinated and tested. We all knew it would’ve cold so people wore layers. I feel the cold so I put my long underwear under my jeans, then a warm fleece and a puffer coat. There were propane heaters. I was plenty warm enough.I’d say outside is fine, just tell people to bring coats and have some throw blankets.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I also see outside as a plus. The same people who don’t want to vaccinate also don’t like to be outside but what can you do??

Would love menu suggestions. I was planning on doing Costco taquitos (I know, classy!) because they’re DDs favorite food. I figured we’d have fixings to make them tasty (cheese, salsas, guacamole, etc) and then I’d serve 3 other premade salads on the side. (Quinoa, lentil, green salad). Now I’m thinking salads might not be the right choice?
    Maybe add chilli for those that want something warm to eat

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Maybe add some chicken tortilla soup to go along with your taquitos theme.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast