Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like pp idea of soup plus your taquitos and s’mores. Very fun and memorable. Congratulations!
    K

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

An outside gathering is totally acceptable, as long as you make sure people know before arriving that it will be outside!

Taquitos are great, I was also going to suggest a big crockpot full of a warm soup-like food -- chili, tortilla soup, taco soup, etc. Having hot chocolate to drink is great. If you want to add a second drink you could add hot cider, but I don't think it's necessary. The s'mores will be a hit!

Another thing to think through is considering seating -- not sure how much you already have, but might want to invite people to bring camp chairs if they have them (this has been very common around us for outdoor gatherings in the COVID era, so at least here people are used to that).

You might want to create a plan for the bathroom, and how you'll nicely shoo people outside if they try to sneak in. If you know that people in the group don't like being outside, I can envision them going in to use the bathroom then just staying inside chatting, etc. Not that you need some major formal plan, but just worth thinking through in advance how you'll handle it.

Congratulations to your DD on her upcoming baptism, too. I hope it's a special day for all of you.
    Lizi

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It sounds lovely and very hospitable. As a fellow Californian I like being out in the evening- this is as winter as we get. It's not much, but it makes it feel more like the winter season.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ha! 50 is awesome weather! Seriously, there are a couple of things you can do that makes it much better and looks more like a nice theme than a “I don’t trust all of COVID deniers to make this into a super spreader event.” Some outdoor rugs if you can get them/borrow them. Things like toasted marshmallows, get some retro jiffy pop pans, maybe apples with sugar and spices wrapped in foil over a fire grate, something like that. Some throw blankets to put over cold people. Get some cheap thermoses or travel mugs and fill them with hot cocoa and/or spice hot cider. They can be party favors. Make a tailgate party. An ice punch bowl is fun. If you do some searches I’m sure you can come up with a them that is appropriate. Am I misremembering, but are you LDS? Maybe you could make some them about going off for missionary work? I’m thinking a few clever touches and you can look someone straight in the face and go “Oh, I just thought this would be such a fun idea. Don’t you think it’s turned out nice?”

Also, I am betting rental places have buffed up on things like outdoor heaters and the like for events. Give them a call and see what other people have been doing.
    Last edited by dogmom; 12-13-2021 at 11:36 AM.

I actually hate that outdoor options have all but disappeared this year and would absolutely welcome a chance to visit with family outdoors. It means our family could attend a larger group gatherings without feeling uncomfortable. Your plans sound great and the only addition I would think about would be a soup.

DH's company did a family holiday party all outdoors last week and it was great. So much less stress IMO.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks all! We're going to do soup! It is the perfect add!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Depending on time of day, you may need to think about lighting as well - it gets dark so early now!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Depending on time of day, you may need to think about lighting as well - it gets dark so early now!
    It is going to be dark! We are going to scope out the lighting scenario. We have Christmas lights up right now and a few other lights on the house. We'll have to check it all out and see how it feels.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Bisous -- how did this event go? I know this is from awhile ago but I just saw you post something about socializing outdoors and it made me think about this. I hope it was a great gathering!
    Lizi

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I think its fine and would appreciate being able to be outside. Might want to warn everyone that refreshments will be outside so they can bring a sweater.
    I agree with this. I think it’s nice that you are having a little reception afterwards. I got to the sentence about your mother recovering from surgery and your dad having cancer and my mind screamed “CANCEL.” My youngest 3 are getting confirmed this summer and normally I’d have a big party for them but we are keeping it small and close family. These are different times- no one can blame you for doing things differently.

I’d keep it classy though. I wouldn’t do s’mores like it’s a campout but I would offer tiny sandwiches, cookies, easy finger foods, pitchers of cocoa and coffee that can be consumed outside. I’d maybe decorate a bit outside too, so guests understand that the party is meant to be outside.

Congratulations!

ETA- sorry, I just saw this is an old post. Hope it was a beautiful ceremony and reception!!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast