JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Osteosporosis diagnosis

I am 54 years old and have been in menopause for about 2 years. I requested a dexaxcan/bone scan and it came back with a t score of -2.7, which is solidly in the osteosporosis arena (cant think of the write word here). My dr wrote to confirm this and ask that I call to schedule an appt, which I have for later this week. Honestly, I both had a feeling (although no family hx that I know of) and am freaked out at the same time.
    Maybe I should be posting after my dr's appts, as I am guessing she will want me to consider meds and I will have more info about that. However, I wanted to check beforehand to see if there is anything you would recommend as far as my doctor's appt, what to request, etc. I can google with the best of them, and know the weight bearing exercise (not yet doing, but walk up big hills daily), vit D/K, magnesium, leafy greens (all of which I do take/eat) are generally recommended as well as some other foods.
    -I have hearing loss and google tells me there can be a connection btwn the 2.
    -I am not currently taking any meds. I have wondered about hormone replacement therapy, but I do not get hot flashes, so have been told they are not indicated; also strong family history of early heart attacks.

Any input is greatly appreciated! I hope this gets seen here!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would recommend you request a lab test with calcium, parathyroid hormone and vitamin D in the same draw. Hyperparathyroidism can draw calcium from your bones and cause early osteoporosis. Just something to check before going the route of other medicines. Medicine won't fix it, just surgery to remove the misbehaving parathyroid(s).

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I would recommend you request a lab test with calcium, parathyroid hormone and vitamin D in the same draw. Hyperparathyroidism can draw calcium from your bones and cause early osteoporosis. Just something to check before going the route of other medicines. Medicine won't fix it, just surgery to remove the misbehaving parathyroid(s).

Thanks! I have recently had Vit D and Calcium tested, but not parathyroid hormone. Do you know if it would make sense to test that if both Vit D and Calcium were at normal levels?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks! I have recently had Vit D and Calcium tested, but not parathyroid hormone. Do you know if it would make sense to test that if both Vit D and Calcium were at normal levels?
    There is such thing as normocalcemic hyperparathyroidism, where calcium levels seem normal but then when you check PTH, it isn't in balance (if calcium is on the upper end of the range, PTH should be on the lower end and vice versa, PTH works together with vitamin D to balance calcium in your body. That said, I was on the upper end of normal for calcium, but over 10, and through my mom having had hyperparathyroidism and my own research, learned that anything over 10 is too high at our age. Feel free to send me a PM if you want, now that I have given my HPT speech It is very undiagnosed and misunderstood by most healthcare providers...

DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    There is such thing as normocalcemic hyperparathyroidism, where calcium levels seem normal but then when you check PTH, it isn't in balance (if calcium is on the upper end of the range, PTH should be on the lower end and vice versa, PTH works together with vitamin D to balance calcium in your body. That said, I was on the upper end of normal for calcium, but over 10, and through my mom having had hyperparathyroidism and my own research, learned that anything over 10 is too high at our age. Feel free to send me a PM if you want, now that I have given my HPT speech It is very undiagnosed and misunderstood by most healthcare providers...

Thanks, I am sending you a PM!

I am coming back to this thread and hope it is seen!

So, hyperparathyroidism and lots of different things have been ruled out. I saw an endocrinologist yesterday (took me this long to get in) who said she is glad I had some of the tests I had, and those were the ones she would do, but nothing more is needed. Basically, she, my PCP, and I am sure most drs say i need to go on meds. I would normally be willing, but there is really conflicting info out there about someone my age (54) and meds. If anyone has any knowledge of this, I would love to hear from you. Thanks!

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sorry that you are going through this, but glad you requested the testing. I'm high risk for Osteoporosis and my GYN mentioned that HRT can be helpful He said that he has even seen patients make improvements to Osteopenia once hormones were restored. I haven't researched this aspect as I'm doing HRT for other reasons, but this was a definite plus in the positive column in my decision making.