gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default If it’s not COVID, it’s the weather

A cousin I adore is up visiting from Florida. She’s staying with her elderly parents 35 minutes from our house by the Interstate. I also adore my elderly aunt and uncle. They are also so joyful and hilarious. Since my parent’s died when my kids were so young, I try to get them visiting my aunts and uncles whenever I can. And now my adult niece and nephew are wanting to spend more time with me and my family. It’s awesome because they are estranged from my brother their dad and they never got a chance to know what a loving family my brother had, other than my parents who died when they were little.

So I organized a dinner at our house tonight for my cousin, aunt and uncle, and niece and nephew. We have been isolating and today went out to buy at-home COVID tests for my 2 kids with a sniffle. All of us are vaccinated. I’ve got THREE Hepa air filters plugged in our great room. I’m cleaning my house thoroughly and not asking my kids for much help because I want it done right. Nothing was going to prevent this dinner.

Except the weather. A heavy snowfall would not deter me. That’s old hat. And Dh offered to drive to their house to pick them up and then bring them back home. But sheets of ice on our roads at night did us in. They called it. They are afraid of slipping and breaking a bone. My niece is pregnant so this isn’t good weather for her and my nephew lives on country roads. They were going to bring their toddler. So it was better for everyone to cancel.

I’m so bummed!! Our weather in Wisconsin has been weird this December with some really warm days and it’s likely to all melt tomorrow. But my cousin leaves for Florida tomorrow so tonight was our last chance. Damm Wisconsin weather!!
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 12-28-2021 at 05:18 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I’m so sorry!

I'm sorry - that's a big bummer!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm really sorry. Its really not fair.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry!

I’m sorry. It’s so disappointing.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ugh I hate that and I'm so sorry! Missing out on holiday get-togethers is so disappointing and we've definitely BTDT.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh man! Sorry you had to cancel it.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow. That's some serious weather! You really tried everything and you should at least feel good about that. It wasn't meant to be apparently! I hope things are getting better weather wise and you're able to celebrate the upcoming holidays the way you'd like!