MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Stay home if you're sick

DS just got home from basketball practice livid because two kids came to practice sick. One went home about 10 minutes in because he couldn't take it, and DS said he looked really sick. The other one decided he was going to sit on the sidelines and just watch. He came to practice because...are you ready for this....his at home covid test was negative. So you're sick enough that you need to test for covid (i.e you have symptoms of some sort), and you still come to practice? DS went on a rampage on the way home (mind you, he's 13) about how stupid is that. T You could have the flu, still possibly covid, or even just a cold but coming to practice and spreading it is just going to cause the whole team to get sick and have to cancel games. I will give the one kid credit for testing. I mean, what is wrong with adults where they think it's ok to drop their kids off to practice sick??? We finally have a few open hospital rooms. Given the stupidity witnessed today, as soon as Omicron is here it's all.over.

I’m right there with you. I’m keeping DS1 home from practice until he’s feeling better (even though he’s had 4 negative Covid tests.). People are selfish a$$holes
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh! You would think by now people would get this!! This is why I have no faith in schools staying open during January. Too many kids/staff will be out due to the few that send their kids to school sick.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I really feel like this is the heart of the matter. Why are we not getting better at this? I had some hope that between the encouragement to wash hands and the mass enabling of meeting up via zoom that we'd be able to celebrate a much healthier society--that something GOOD might come out of COVID, but I see the same thing. People are "over it" which means they're back to coming to attend things with all kinds of illnesses.

I do wish that some organizations were more flexible with their rules in light of the fact that we're still in a pandemic. I can't help but lament that last year my kids had NO sick days (100% virtual school so they could always participate!) but this year even with all the great pandemic virtual tools they are missing a lot of instruction! It makes it just a little tempting to dismiss "the sniffles" and send them to school. I don't do it because I do care very much about not spreading disease but I can see how less motivated people are making the wrong choice. Not that it is ok, just saying I think this is really important and we should do everything we can to support people who stay home because of illness!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I really feel like this is the heart of the matter. Why are we not getting better at this? I had some hope that between the encouragement to wash hands and the mass enabling of meeting up via zoom that we'd be able to celebrate a much healthier society--that something GOOD might come out of COVID, but I see the same thing. People are "over it" which means they're back to coming to attend things with all kinds of illnesses.

I do wish that some organizations were more flexible with their rules in light of the fact that we're still in a pandemic. I can't help but lament that last year my kids had NO sick days (100% virtual school so they could always participate!) but this year even with all the great pandemic virtual tools they are missing a lot of instruction! It makes it just a little tempting to dismiss "the sniffles" and send them to school. I don't do it because I do care very much about not spreading disease but I can see how less motivated people are making the wrong choice. Not that it is ok, just saying I think this is really important and we should do everything we can to support people who stay home because of illness!
    Yes I agree. The schools and activities here are back to pre-pandemic expectations for attendance and deadlines. I'm all for holding people accountable, but it makes people much less likely to stay home when mildly sick. Our schools have abandoned the flexibility for virtual learning that were in place last year so missing school to wait on test results means making up the work without instruction. A girl showed up for gym practice at DD's gym on Monday knowing that her mom was home sick with Covid. Gymnast tested positive Tuesday. It gets even worse - she took out an entire carpool group since she rode with them Monday. Guessing she felt the pressure since the competitive season starts in January but we will never get out of this mess at this rate. We've always said our biggest risk for Covid was through DD at the gym but I didn't think people would be this stupid.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think some of the problem is confusion. At DS's school, they are still doing temp checks for sports. As long as you don't have a fever, everything is fine. Even if you're coughing up gunk, pulling down your mask to wipe snot, or look like death. Like fever is the only symptom that counts. ??????