Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Insurance coverage for at-home covid test

This seems like it could either be a straightforward way to cover the costs of all those at-home covid tests (if you can find them!), or a bureaucratic nightmare.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/10/u...e=articleShare

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Agreed.....I also found it laughable that they're supposed to cover up to 8 tests per month per family member. I feel like I've spent most of this post-home-test pandemic with a single box of Binax in my cupboard, hoping I can find another couple boxes before someone crops up with symptoms again.....
    Lizi

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have TriCare, which isn’t bound by federal law, ironically. So I doubt they’ll cover this.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    This seems like it could either be a straightforward way to cover the costs of all those at-home covid tests (if you can find them!), or a bureaucratic nightmare.
    Bureaucratic nightmare. The folks who most need access to tests cannot source them. This will do nothing for them. And, if they can source them, the hoops they have to jump through to get reimbursed are prohibitive. And, are they supposed to buy 8 at once ($$$$) and then get reimbursed? Or should they get 1-2 at a time and spend endless hours sourcing them?

I work for a coverage plan. I can set up a preferred network all day long - but if they don't have the tests, what good is that?!?! I've spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to source tests so we can get them directly to our members (we're community-based, so hyper local). I've struck out. We have a whopping 16 tests on hand for members.

I'll submit the receipts for my family's tests to our coverage plan - but we're not the folks who need it the most.

If the feds want to be helpful, they should support a swift and sharp increase in rapid test production - like, last year.

Last edited by ahisma; 01-11-2022 at 01:33 AM.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Bureaucratic nightmare. The folks who most need access to tests cannot source them. This will do nothing for them. And, if they can source them, the hoops they have to jump through to get reimbursed are prohibitive. And, are they supposed to buy 8 at once ($$$$) and then get reimbursed? Or should they get 1-2 at a time and spend endless hours sourcing them?

I work for a coverage plan. I can set up a preferred network all day long - but if they don't have the tests, what good is that?!?! I've spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to source tests so we can get them directly to our members (we're community-based, so hyper local). I've struck out. We have a whopping 16 tests on hand for members.

I'll submit the receipts for my family's tests to our coverage plan - but we're not the folks who need it the most.

If the feds want to be helpful, they should support a swift and sharp increase in rapid test production - like, last year.

I agree. I wish we could get tests as easily and inexpensively as other countries.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Insurance coverage for at-home covid test

At this point I am happy my insurance will cover the $248 I spent on the rapid antigen tests at The Covid Clinic for myself and DH last week when we had to get tests after hours (we didn’t find out about the possible exposure until 5 pm on Wednesday and our HCP testing closes at 3:30). They have already sent us the link. We are very lucky that we have both been able to work the last two weeks and even if DH’s symptoms had been worse he would’ve very easily been able to use sick leave. In general this whole process is very bureaucratic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-11-2022 at 12:09 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

It seems like a nice idea but really, we need cheaper, highly available tests right now. We have dollar store pregnancy tests. That's the type of access we need for at-home Covid tests. Obviously in much greater supply.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    It seems like a nice idea but really, we need cheaper, highly available tests right now. We have dollar store pregnancy tests. That's the type of access we need for at-home Covid tests. Obviously in much greater supply.
    Yes! And this is what they talked about and advocated on TWIV over a year ago!!!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

By now, some of you may have received info from your health insurer about how to request reimbursement for home tests.

I just received info that my Medicare Advantage plan (for state retirees) will ONLY cover tests through health care providers, *NOT* home tests. (I should have suspected this when PP mentioned that TriCare isn’t included.) Turns out that Medicare is exempt from the Executive order.

For those of you with Medicare-aged relatives and friends, tell them to be sure to check with their insurers before assuming their home test kits will be reimbursed.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    By now, some of you may have received info from your health insurer about how to request reimbursement for home tests.

I just received info that my Medicare Advantage plan (for state retirees) will ONLY cover tests through health care providers, *NOT* home tests. (I should have suspected this when PP mentioned that TriCare isn’t included.) Turns out that Medicare is exempt from the Executive order.

For those of you with Medicare-aged relatives and friends, tell them to be sure to check with their insurers before assuming their home test kits will be reimbursed.

Yes, it's mandated for private insurers. I've heard that some government insurance programs will also be covering them but I honestly haven't followed it that closely since we have private insurance.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast